all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
@ 2020-10-12 16:59 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

For some reason, starting today, after updating Emacs from git, when I
try to commit a change using magit, it tries to start up emacsclient
(maybe based on my EDITOR environment variable?).  It actually fails
whether I've started the server or not.  First of all, why would magit
want to do this given that I'm in Emacs already?  Has it always done
this?  Secondaly, what is it that I have done (or not done) to end up in
this situation?

I have reverted to using vc-* commands for the time being so I can keep
working but I do like using magit for selective commits.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
@ 2020-10-12 17:19 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-10-12 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Eric> Hello all,
    Eric> For some reason, starting today, after updating Emacs from git, when I
    Eric> try to commit a change using magit, it tries to start up emacsclient
    Eric> (maybe based on my EDITOR environment variable?).  It actually fails
    Eric> whether I've started the server or not.  First of all, why would magit
    Eric> want to do this given that I'm in Emacs already?  Has it always done
    Eric> this?  Secondaly, what is it that I have done (or not done) to end up in
    Eric> this situation?

- Because itʼs providing the commit message to git using git's
  external editor support, which then needs to call back into emacs
- Yes
- The interface to emacsclient changed in emacs, which means the
  with-editor package needed to be adjusted. See
  <https://github.com/magit/with-editor/issues/82>
  and <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43716>

TL;DR update your with-editor package

    Eric> I have reverted to using vc-* commands for the time being so I can keep
    Eric> working but I do like using magit for selective commits.

I feel your pain

Robert

* Re: magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
@ 2020-10-13  7:24   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-13  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, 12 Oct 2020 at 19:19, Robert Pluim wrote:
> TL;DR update your with-editor package

Thank you.  A package I did not even know I was using.  ;-)

Still seems strange to me that a package, like magit, so Emacs based,
would use an external editor for some of its functions.  But I can
understand why.

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2020-10-13 15:00     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2020-10-13 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Monday, 12 Oct 2020 at 19:19, Robert Pluim wrote:
>> TL;DR update your with-editor package
>
> Thank you.  A package I did not even know I was using.  ;-)
>
> Still seems strange to me that a package, like magit, so Emacs based,
> would use an external editor for some of its functions.  But I can
> understand why.

Magit is not using an external editor, git is :-)

* Re: magit attempting to use external editor (!) for commit
@ 2020-10-14  9:16       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-14  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, 13 Oct 2020 at 17:00, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Magit is not using an external editor, git is :-)

True, which I only learned now, so caught me by surprise.
All working so everything is good!

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid