all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scroll down *Schell Command Output* buffer when output arrives
@ 2003-02-24 15:45 Jens Persson
From: Jens Persson @ 2003-02-24 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I have made a couple of functions that performs single shell-command
calls, for example like this:

(defun csound-compile-curr-osc-sco ()
   (interactive)
   (shell-command (concat "csound -A -d -o test.aif "
    (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name)) ".orc "
    (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name)) ".sco"))
)

(global-set-key [f8] 'csound-compile-curr-osc-sco)

The ouput of these shell-command calls goes into the *Shell Command
Output* buffer, and now I only want it to automatically scroll down
every time new output arrives to it so that the last lines of the output
is visable, how can i do this? Is there some hook that i can add a
"end-of-buffer" to or something?

(I've searched the internet for hours and I'm getting frustrated here!)

/Jens

* Re: Scroll down *Schell Command Output* buffer when output arrives
@ 2003-02-24 16:37 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2003-02-24 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Persson <jens.persson.1833@student.uu.se> writes:

> The ouput of these shell-command calls goes into the *Shell Command
> Output* buffer, and now I only want it to automatically scroll down
> every time new output arrives to it so that the last lines of the
> output is visable, how can i do this? Is there some hook that i can
> add a "end-of-buffer" to or something?

Why not run them under `compile', which will do the scrolling for you
automatically.

e.g.

(defun csound-compile-curr-osc-sco ()
   (interactive)
   (compile (concat "csound -A -d -o test.aif "

--
Benjamin

* Re: Scroll down *Schell Command Output* buffer when output arrives
@ 2003-02-25 11:59   ` Jens Persson
From: Jens Persson @ 2003-02-25 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, thanks! Guess I should have thought of that ... But is it impossible
to (if you just wanted to do it that way for some reason) make the Shell
Command Output buffer scroll down automatically every time it gets new
output?

@ 2003-03-04 22:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Persson wrote:

> (defun csound-compile-curr-osc-sco ()
>   (interactive)
>   (shell-command (concat "csound -A -d -o test.aif "
>    (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name)) ".orc "
>    (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-name)) ".sco"))
> )

That won't work if you happen to be visiting 2 files with the same name but
in different directories, which usually results in buffers named e.g. foo.bar
and foo.bar<2>.  I would write that as:

   (let* ((file (file-name-nondirectory buffer-file-name))
	 (sound (file-name-sans-extension file)))
     (shell-command (format "csound -A -d -o test.aif %s.orc %s.sco"
			   sound sound)))

--

* Re: Scroll down *Schell Command Output* buffer when output arrives
@ 2003-03-05 16:14     ` Robert Figura
From: Robert Figura @ 2003-03-05 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jens Persson <jens.persson.1833@student.uu.se> writes:

> Ok, thanks! Guess I should have thought of that ... But is it
> impossible to (if you just wanted to do it that way for some reason)
> make the Shell Command Output buffer scroll down automatically every
> time it gets new output?

My question was on how to scroll the *Messages* buffer. Tiny-scroll
from tiny-tools (url below) can do it. (Why are these tools called
tiny, btw?)

http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/emacs-tiny-tools-toc.html

- R

--
/* mandlsig.c v0.23  (c) by Robert Figura */
I=1702;float O,o,i;main(l){for(;I--;putchar("oO .,\nm>cot.bitamea\