all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-25  8:52 Sébastien Kirche
       [not found] ` <mailman.15542.1106779368.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-01-25  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I dunno if many people could be  interrested, but on january 11 I have built
a CVS checkout for both Mac OS 9 and X.

The OS9 version is an archive of the dev folder with sources included :
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/emacsOS9.smi.bin
(BTW: that version supports now up to 512 MB of memory.)

The OSX version  is an installer that will  install a self-contained bundled
app in /Applications :
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/EmacsCVS-20050111-Installer.dmg

Comments are welcome.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-26 22:29 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.15542.1106779368.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-01-26 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.01.2005 um 09:52 schrieb Sébastien Kirche:

> The OS9 version is an archive of the dev folder with sources included :
> http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/emacsOS9.smi.bin
> (BTW: that version supports now up to 512 MB of memory.)

How's that?!

> The OSX version  is an installer that will  install a self-contained
> bundled
> app in /Applications :
> http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/EmacsCVS-20050111-
> Installer.dmg
>
> Comments are welcome.

In shell-mode to access to /dev/tty!

There are differences in the interpretation of Mac OS X font encodings:
as with the Japanese Carbon Emacs a few  fonts are recognised as being
cyrillic. There are some differences in accepting /Library/Application
Support/Emacs as part of load-path.

I'm comparing with my own try (without /dev/tty too). I added in
lisp/site-init.el

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/Library/Application
Support/Emacs"))

to recognise this directory (plus a few more to recognise
subdirectories for reftex, auctex, preview-latex, and localized
calendar).

More to follow, some time ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error
but fruitflies like a banana

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
       [not found] ` <mailman.15542.1106779368.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-27 10:40   ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-01-27 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26 Jan 2005, Peter Dyballa a formulé :

> > (BTW: that version supports now up to 512 MB of memory.)
>
> How's that?!

Well, Emacs on Mac OS 9 as it is available on MacEmacs page crash if the mac
has more than 256MB installed.

> > Comments are welcome.
>
> In shell-mode to access to /dev/tty!

Huh ?? I fear not to understand that comment :/

> There are differences in the interpretation of Mac OS X font
> encodings:  as with the Japanese Carbon Emacs a few  fonts are
> recognised as being cyrillic.

I use no Japanese nor Cyrillic fonts, so i won't be able to debug enough.
I have looked at  the Japanese Carbon Emacs and it explains  it is a patched
one for  input method. Maybe  the source codes  could be compared ?  Mine is
directly  checked  out from  CVS.  The  «modified  by Debian»  mention  only
concerns  the version  string and  the  generated packages  on my  GNU/Linux
Debian box at home.

> There are some differences in accepting
> /Library/Application  Support/Emacs as part of load-path.
>
> I'm comparing with my own try (without /dev/tty too). I added in
> lisp/site-init.el
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/Library/Application
> Support/Emacs"))

Is it /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp or
/path_to_the_bundle.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp ? I  am not sure of the
behavior of the bundled app for the load-path.

> to recognise this directory (plus a few more to recognise
> subdirectories for reftex, auctex, preview-latex, and localized
> calendar).

In my  installation, i have defined a  ~/.elisp/ where i put  the packages I
installed myself, so i did not remarked such problems.

> More to follow, some time ...

No problem. However if you might found some bugs, you could tell them to the
emacs-devel list or better gnu.emacs.bug ?

I make quite no development myself for emacs (except some minor elisp patch)
but I just compile it to have a «cutting edge» version :)

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-27 15:57     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > (BTW: that version supports now up to 512 MB of memory.)
>> How's that?!

> Well, Emacs on Mac OS 9 as it is available on MacEmacs page crash if the mac
> has more than 256MB installed.

BTW, can't you build it with USE_LSB_TAG (so as to completely eliminate the
max-memory limit)?

> No problem. However if you might found some bugs, you could tell them to the
> emacs-devel list or better gnu.emacs.bug ?

gnu.emacs.bug would be wrong since it is specifically for problems that have
to do with released versions of Emacs (Emacs-21.3, but not Emacs-CVS).
See INSTALL.CVS for where to send bug reports etc...

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-27 16:32       ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-01-27 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stefan,

Le 27 Jan 2005, Stefan Monnier vraute :

> > Well, Emacs on Mac OS 9 as it is available on MacEmacs page crash if the
> > mac has more than 256MB installed.
>
> BTW, can't  you build it with  USE_LSB_TAG (so as  to completely eliminate
> the max-memory limit)?

I may try to compile that way, but i have no acces to machine with more than
512 Mo to test that it actually works. And i am too limited on the web space
for a second version.

If someone ask about it, I would like to try...

> > No problem. However if you might found some bugs, you could tell them to
> > the emacs-devel list or better gnu.emacs.bug ?
>
> gnu.emacs.bug would  be wrong since  it is specifically for  problems that
> have  to  do  with  released   versions  of  Emacs  (Emacs-21.3,  but  not
> Emacs-CVS). See INSTALL.CVS for where to send bug reports etc...

Ok,  INSTALL.CVS  tell to  send  to  «emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org rather  than
gnu.emacs.help or gnu.emacs.bug. Ideally, use M-x report-emacs-bug RET »

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-27 20:29         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-01-27 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > Well, Emacs on Mac OS 9 as it is available on MacEmacs page crash if the
>> > mac has more than 256MB installed.
>> BTW, can't  you build it with  USE_LSB_TAG (so as  to completely eliminate
>> the max-memory limit)?
> I may try to compile that way, but i have no acces to machine with more than
> 512 Mo to test that it actually works. And i am too limited on the web space
> for a second version.
> If someone ask about it, I would like to try...

If the compilation succeeds and the compiled executable works, then the
limit is gone.  USE_LSB_TAG is the default way to build Emacs in Emacs-CVS,
but it's only available on the platforms where we know it works.
If it works with USE_LSB_TAG, there's no point keeping a version built
without USE_LSB_TAG.

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
       [not found] ` <mailman.15542.1106779368.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-27 20:58   ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-01-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 26 jan 2005, Peter Dyballa a formulé :

> More to follow, some time ...

Peter, i tried to answer to  your personnal messages, but your mailbox seems
full :/

<Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>: host mx-ha01.Web.DE[217.72.192.149] said: 550
    <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> Benutzer hat zuviele Mails auf dem Server. / User
    has too many messages on the server. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-01-27 21:03           ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-01-27 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 27 jan 2005, Stefan Monnier a formulé :

> If the  compilation succeeds and  the compiled executable works,  then the
> limit is gone. USE_LSB_TAG is the default way to build Emacs in Emacs-CVS,
> but it's  only available on  the platforms where  we know it works.  If it
> works with USE_LSB_TAG,  there's no point keeping a  version built without
> USE_LSB_TAG.

Ok. I  will try that  within the next  few working days  and I will  post my
result.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
@ 2005-02-02  9:04           ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-02-02  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stefan,

Le 27 Jan 2005, Stefan Monnier s'est exprimé ainsi :

> If the  compilation succeeds and  the compiled executable works,  then the
> limit is gone. USE_LSB_TAG is the default way to build Emacs in Emacs-CVS,
> but it's  only available on  the platforms where  we know it works.  If it
> works with USE_LSB_TAG,  there's no point keeping a  version built without
> USE_LSB_TAG.

Am I  supposed to  specify that define  specifically when compiling  for OSX
platform too  ? Following Steven  Tamm advice i  have just compiled  a fresh
version with make-package -M,CC=gcc

But i did not manage to add USE_LSB_TAG (syntax ?).
Looking at the macintosh sourc files, that symbol is defined automaticaly if
__MRC__ is defined (i suppose by the compiler).

Could you (or some mac developer) tell me :
- how i can define USE_LSB_SYMBOL at make or make-package invocation, noy by
  modifying config.h
- if i should do that or if it is included for OSX platform.

Sorry if it looks basic, but i  use to develop with CodeWarrior and I am not
that familiar with cli for building programs.

PS: maybe i should redirect to emacs-devel ?

Regards.

--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-02-02 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS: maybe i should redirect to emacs-devel ?

Yes, all discussions regarding the Emacs-CVS code should go to
emacs-devel@gnu.org or emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

I wrote the USE_LSB_TAG code, but I know next to nothing about Mac OS
X (other than that it uses USE_LSB_TAG when built as an X11 application
with `make' and `gcc'), and I know strictly nothing about Mac OS 9.