all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-29 20:00 Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-29 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

How can I retrieve all ticked articles in a group?

I searched Gnus manual but find nothing.

Any ideas? Thank you!

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
       [not found] <mailman.2509.1167422433.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-29 20:18 ` Ralf Angeli
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2511.1167425890.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-12-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Leo (2006-12-29) writes:

> How can I retrieve all ticked articles in a group?

I don't understand the question.  Ticked articles are always visible.
So you enter a group with <RET> and there they are.

> I searched Gnus manual but find nothing.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you!

You should really ask questions related to Gnus in a group related to
Gnus, as suggested by Reiner.

--
Ralf

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-29 20:58   ` Leo
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2511.1167425890.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2006-12-29 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Ralf Angeli (2006-12-29 21:18 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
>> How can I retrieve all ticked articles in a group?
>
> I don't understand the question.  Ticked articles are always
> visible.  So you enter a group with <RET> and there they are.

Not in a huge group that has many unread articles. It is hard to find
ticked articles.

>> I searched Gnus manual but find nothing.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thank you!
>
> You should really ask questions related to Gnus in a group related
> to Gnus, as suggested by Reiner.

OK.

@ 2006-12-29 21:09     ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-12-29 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Leo (2006-12-29) writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2006-12-29 21:18 +0100) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> How can I retrieve all ticked articles in a group?
>>
>> I don't understand the question.  Ticked articles are always
>> visible.  So you enter a group with <RET> and there they are.
>
> Not in a huge group that has many unread articles. It is hard to find
> ticked articles.

Is there a reason to leave them unread?  If there isn't, you can mark
all of them read with `c'.

--
Ralf

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-29 21:23     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-29 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
| `/ m'
|      Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have been marked
|      with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-29 21:48       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-29 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Reiner Steib (2006-12-29 22:23 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> On Fri, Dec 29 2006, Leo wrote:
>
>> Not in a huge group that has many unread articles. It is hard to find
>> ticked articles.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
> | `/ m'
> |      Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have been marked
> |      with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
> `----

That requires showing all the articles first. I am looking for
something like 'Y d' does to dormant articles ;)

Thanks for help.

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-29 21:50       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-29 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Ralf Angeli (2006-12-29 22:09 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
> * Leo (2006-12-29) writes:
>
>> * Ralf Angeli (2006-12-29 21:18 +0100) said:
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> I don't understand the question.  Ticked articles are always
>>> visible.  So you enter a group with <RET> and there they are.
>>
>> Not in a huge group that has many unread articles. It is hard to find
>> ticked articles.
>
> Is there a reason to leave them unread?  If there isn't, you can mark
> all of them read with `c'.
Not an optimal solution. But if there isn't a better solution, I'll
use this one.

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-30 15:12         ` Andreas Seltenreich
From: Andreas Seltenreich @ 2006-12-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo writes:

> * Reiner Steib (2006-12-29 22:23 +0100) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> On Fri, Dec 29 2006, Leo wrote:
>>
>>> Not in a huge group that has many unread articles. It is hard to find
>>> ticked articles.
>>
>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
>> | `/ m'
>> |      Ask for a mark and then limit to all articles that have been marked
>> |      with that mark (`gnus-summary-limit-to-marks').
>> `----
>
> That requires showing all the articles first. I am looking for
> something like 'Y d' does to dormant articles ;)

There's also the possibility of using the `display' group parameter
with a `tick' predicate. However, this wouldn't be very efficient,
since Gnus tests this expression on individual headers after fetching
them, despite a list of ticked articles being already in memory.

I wonder if `Y t' would be a good candidate for No Gnus.

(defun gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles ()
  "Insert ticked articles for this group into the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((gnus-verbose (max 6 gnus-verbose)))
    (if (not gnus-newsgroup-marked)
	(gnus-message 3 "No ticked articles for this group")
      (gnus-summary-goto-subjects gnus-newsgroup-marked))))

(eval-after-load 'gnus-sum
  '(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "Y t")
     'gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles))

regards,
andreas

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-30 17:05           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sat, Dec 30 2006, Andreas Seltenreich wrote:

> I wonder if `Y t' [gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles] would be a
> good candidate for No Gnus.
>
> (defun gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles ()
>   "Insert ticked articles for this group into the current buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((gnus-verbose (max 6 gnus-verbose)))
>     (if (not gnus-newsgroup-marked)
> 	(gnus-message 3 "No ticked articles for this group")
>       (gnus-summary-goto-subjects gnus-newsgroup-marked))))

Looks good.  Could you install it along with menu entries (<menu-bar>
<Gnus> <Limit to> ...) and documentation (texi/gnus.texi
texi/gnus-news.texi)?

I don't see the point in let-binding `gnus-verbose', but I think
you just copied it from `gnus-summary-insert-dormant-articles'.

Let's move this to ding, please.  Mail-Followup-To: <ding@gnus.org>

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to insert ticked articles in Gnus
@ 2006-12-30 17:36           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-30 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Andreas Seltenreich (2006-12-30 16:12 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
>>> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Limiting") ]
>>> `----
>>
>> That requires showing all the articles first. I am looking for
>> something like 'Y d' does to dormant articles ;)
>
> There's also the possibility of using the `display' group parameter
> with a `tick' predicate. However, this wouldn't be very efficient,
> since Gnus tests this expression on individual headers after fetching
> them, despite a list of ticked articles being already in memory.
>
> I wonder if `Y t' would be a good candidate for No Gnus.

> (defun gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles ()
>   "Insert ticked articles for this group into the current buffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((gnus-verbose (max 6 gnus-verbose)))
>     (if (not gnus-newsgroup-marked)
> 	(gnus-message 3 "No ticked articles for this group")
>       (gnus-summary-goto-subjects gnus-newsgroup-marked))))
>
> (eval-after-load 'gnus-sum
>   '(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "Y t")
>      'gnus-summary-insert-ticked-articles))
>
> regards,
> andreas

That's indeed what I am looking for. Thank you so much.

Just want to add it is also handy when you have ticked articles in a
slow but small group.