all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 term behaviour on OS X
@ 2008-08-08 13:31 nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-08 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i use M-x term with /bin/bash on os x (emacs 22) without any problems after
compiling emacs 23 term started behaving differently when i hit enter i
get the following error

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integerp return)
  make-string(1 return)
  term-send-raw()
  call-interactively(term-send-raw nil nil)

i also get the same error with tab i tried starting emacs with -q but
still got the same error. is there a way to fix this because i relay on
term a lot for my development.

thanks...
--
Nurullah Akkaya

* Re: emacs 23 term behaviour on OS X
@ 2008-08-08 14:11 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.16103.1218204687.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nakkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 13:31 schrieb nakkaya:

> i also get the same error with tab i tried starting emacs with -q but
> still got the same error.

There is also the -Q option.

Emacs.app and GNU Emacs 23, the X client, run fine in Terminal of
Tiger. Could be Leopard is much buggier.

Did you check the bash runtime environment? Could be it's causing
trouble. You could temporarily rename bash's RC files and open a new
Terminal window with much less bash overload ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.

@ 2008-08-08 14:52   ` nakkaya
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16111.1218213140.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-08 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>Emacs.app and GNU Emacs 23, the X client, run fine in Terminal of
>Tiger. Could be Leopard is much buggier.

i am trying to do the reverse run terminal inside emacs.

--

@ 2008-08-08 16:32     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.16111.1218213140.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-08 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nakkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.08.2008 um 14:52 schrieb nakkaya:

>> Emacs.app and GNU Emacs 23, the X client, run fine in Terminal of
>> Tiger. Could be Leopard is much buggier.
>
> i am trying to do the reverse run terminal inside emacs.

I'd say, this isn't sane. Could be you want to express something
different, running M-x shell RET or M-x term RET or M-x eshell RET.
The first one runs very fine – at least with tcsh! To accommodate
bash and *shell* buffer you can use the file ~/.emacs_bash. Both
Emacs and bash have their own concepts of history and file name and
command name completion – and it's better only one does the job!
(I.e., rather basic bash, IMO.) Term and Eshell are a bit different
and maybe provided for folks that are even older than me ...

Anyway, if errors happen when you launch Emacs.app with -Q, either in
Aqua or in some terminal emulation, and you have a good proof that
it's Emacs.app, that is malfunctioning, you should report this as a
bug (see Help menu).

--
Greetings

   Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣
ɓuı̣ɥʇʎuɐ sı̣ pooɓ ʇɐɥʍ«

@ 2008-08-09  0:05       ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-09  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

AFAIK shell and term are different, shell works fine but it is not
terminal emulation for instance you can not run ncurses stuff in shell
but you can run it in term. term is full blown terminal emulation like
xterm.

i have emacs 22 build from tar ball. it works fine without problems
so i am guessing it's a bug.

--

@ 2008-08-10  1:23 ` Chris Patterson
From: Chris Patterson @ 2008-08-10  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nakkaya@gmail.com writes:

> i use M-x term with /bin/bash on os x (emacs 22) without any problems after
> compiling emacs 23 term started behaving differently when i hit enter i
> get the following error
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument integerp return)
>   make-string(1 return)
>   term-send-raw()
>   call-interactively(term-send-raw nil nil)
>
> i also get the same error with tab i tried starting emacs with -q but
> still got the same error. is there a way to fix this because i relay on
> term a lot for my development.
>
> thanks...

Hmm... I'm getting the same thing on a fresh build. Anyone think this is
worth a bug report?

* Re: emacs 23 term behaviour on OS X
@ 2008-08-10 14:32   ` nakkaya
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16291.1218390840.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-10 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i already filed a bug report but did not get a reply though...

instead of enter C-m works but i could not find a replacement for tab :)

--

@ 2008-08-10 17:53   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <m2zlnkk503.fsf@casapatterson.com>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.16291.1218390840.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-10 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Patterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.08.2008 um 03:23 schrieb Chris Patterson:

> I'm getting the same thing on a fresh build. Anyone think this is
> worth a bug report?

With neither bash nor tcsh I get the same behaviour.

Does the same happen when you launch GNU Emacs 23.0.60 with -Q? Does
it happen when you use (t)csh? Or another shell that is not bash?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish,
and you've depleted the lake.

@ 2008-08-10 20:39     ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-10 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

same thing happened with -q , i did not try any other shell since i got
all my setup for bash..
--

@ 2008-08-10 21:00       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nakkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.08.2008 um 20:39 schrieb nakkaya:

> same thing happened with -q

And how is it with -Q – or is your keyboard defective?

--
Greetings

   Pete

neither do we.
				– Georges W. Bush

@ 2008-08-10 22:43       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.16318.1218408251.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-10 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Patterson, nakkaya; +Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 10.08.2008 um 22:08 schrieb Chris Patterson:

> Unfortunately it does the same thing in zsh, csh, etc and
> regardless of
> starting with -Q. I'm thinking that this is something with the
> keybindings in Emacs.app because I have found that on my G4 Powerbook
> the Enter key does work though Return does not. I suppose it is
> possible that
> the problem is related only to notebook keyboards and that could
> explain the
> difficulty in reproducing.

I think I understand now: you both do not seem to use the big Return
key on the far right but the little one close to the space bar. In
the X client it acts like C-c (or C-@, ASCII NUL, when holding the FN
key), in Emacs.app it's recognised as kp-enter (or C-p when holding
the FN key). I've bound it to other-window ...

This could be another bug in Emacs.app – there are other keys it does
not correctly understand. You should file a bug report!

> I are also having this issue with Tab and I've not found ^I to be a
> suitable
> workaround here.

What are the symptoms? For me TAB fails in *shell* buffer to expand
file names. I have reported this as a bug, the bug was closed as
being fixed, but for me it's still there and I am missing a good
proof ... There is also one with rather long lines as in 'ls -l
`locate <some file name>`' or in 'set path=(...)' that I haven't
reported yet since I also do not completely understand possible
interaction with tcsh ... In GNU Emacs 22.2 and in 23.0.60 from
January it works faultlessly.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has
never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable
are arbitrary, cruel, grasping and unintelligent.
				– H. L. Mencken

@ 2008-08-11  1:58         ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-08-11  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have only one return. :) both on my laptop and my keyboard.

BTW TAB in shell worked fine in 23.

--

@ 2008-08-11  6:52           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nakkaya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.08.2008 um 01:58 schrieb nakkaya:

> i have only one return. :) both on my laptop and my keyboard.
>
> BTW TAB in shell worked fine in 23.

Then it's probably best to file bug reports, using a recent version
of Emacs.app and an elder one, citing the self-descriptions of both
(appearing upon Help Menu -> Send Bug Report…), launching the Emacsen
with -Q, and using minimal or no shell RC files.

I'll try something similar myself.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
				– George W. Bush