all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23.0.92 - problem writing document with non-standard characters.
@ 2009-04-20  6:53 rabbitko
       [not found] ` <mailman.5731.1240239837.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rabbitko @ 2009-04-20  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Group Members
I copied&pasted some part of document from web page into emacs buffer,
then when tried to save it I get error message:
Saving file /tmp/document.txt...
apply: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

THe problem is probably with character coding. I remember that emacs 22
did that better: it just jumped to character which was suspicious and
suggested choosing another character encoding for this document.

Literally, I wanted to copy part:

(Zmywarka "eko" lub "bio"

from:
http://gospodarka.gazeta.pl/gospodarka/1,33181,6054598,Czy_moge_pania_zoffsetowac_.html?as=2&ias=3&startsz=x

'"' does the problem here.

Is it a bug?

best regards!
Michal

* Re: emacs 23.0.92 - problem writing document with non-standard characters.
@ 2009-04-20 15:01 ` Charles Philip Chan
       [not found] ` <mailman.5731.1240239837.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-04-20 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rabbitko@tenbit.pl writes:

> I copied&pasted some part of document from web page into emacs buffer,
> then when tried to save it I get error message:
> Saving file /tmp/document.txt...
> apply: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

I tested it out. I have no problems saving the file. I am using Emacs
23.0.92.1. My coding system is utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix).

Charles

--
LILO, you've got me on my knees!
(from David Black, dblack@pilot.njin.net, with apologies to Derek and the

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

@ 2009-04-20 15:48   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-04-20 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> I tested it out. I have no problems saving the file. I am using Emacs
> 23.0.92.1. My coding system is utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix).

Indeed it can be saved without warning message when I change my coding
system iso-latin-2-unix to utf-8-unix, but the problem is that emacs 22
when it didn't allow me to write such strange '"' characters in
iso-latin-2-unix buffer it jumped to the strange character and suggested
to change coding system for whole buffer. Then I just could replace such
character with 'legal' one or just change the coding system. Emacs 23
just leaves me with message

@ 2009-04-20 21:13     ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2009-04-20 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs