all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Archive done tasks and preserve tree structure
@ 2024-05-19 13:16 Naresh Gurbuxani
From: Naresh Gurbuxani @ 2024-05-19 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In my task list, items are grouped under various headings.  For example:

* Reading

** TODO Book 1

** TODO Book 2

* Programming

** TODO assignment 1

** TODO assignment 2

When an item is DONE, I want to archive it such that archive file
preserves tree structure.  So when Book 1 above is DONE, I want C-c C-x
C-a to send this subtree to archive file under the heading Reading.  I
followed the suggestion here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10143959/keeping-the-context-when-archiving-in-emacs-org-mode

My updated tasks file looks like this.

* Reading

:PROPERTIES:
:ARCHIVE: %s_archive::Reading
:END:

** TODO Book 1

** TODO Book 2

Adding this property does not change archive action.  After marking Book
1 as DONE, then typing C-c C-x C-a sends this subtree to archive file as
a top level heading.  As a result, my archive file has a long list of
top level headings.

How can I get the archiving done to preserve tree structure of tasks?
Any hope for already archived items to be reorganized?

Thanks,

Naresh

* Re: Archive done tasks and preserve tree structure
@ 2024-05-19 14:41 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-05-19 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Gurbuxani; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Naresh Gurbuxani <naresh_gurbuxani@hotmail.com> writes:

> How can I get the archiving done to preserve tree structure of tasks?
> Any hope for already archived items to be reorganized?

It is currently not possible.
Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Archive done tasks and preserve tree structure
@ 2024-05-21 18:13 ` Joris Caravati via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Joris Caravati via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2024-05-21 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Naresh Gurbuxani; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Naresh Gurbuxani <naresh_gurbuxani@hotmail.com> writes:

> How can I get the archiving done to preserve tree structure of tasks?

I've been using the solution in this gist comment for a while without
issue:

https://gist.github.com/Fuco1/e86fb5e0a5bb71ceafccedb5ca22fcfb?permalink_comment_id=3006243#gistcomment-3006243