all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HInding Lines
@ 2003-03-10 16:27 Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-03-10 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, While doing the development work with emacs, I just want to hide
certain lines. These lines does not constitute functions and I cannot
use narrow-region as I like to see the entire file. So something like
hide-region or hide-regions would be helpful. How I can use outline
mode to hide effectively what I want to hide from point 'A' to point
'B'.

Thanks,
[artist]

* Re: HInding Lines
@ 2003-03-10 19:01 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2003-03-10 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi, While doing the development work with emacs, I just want to hide
> certain lines. These lines does not constitute functions and I
> cannot use narrow-region as I like to see the entire file. So
> something like hide-region or hide-regions would be helpful. How I
> can use outline mode to hide effectively what I want to hide from
> point 'A' to point 'B'.

Sounds like you want folding.el.  You'll have to put comments into
your code to denote the beginning and ending of the fold, but, other
than that, it sounds like what you want.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: HInding Lines
@ 2003-03-11  1:30   ` Artist
From: Artist @ 2003-03-11  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Masterson <David.Masterson@synopsys.com> wrote in message news:<u65qrnj0d.fsf@synopsys.com>...

> > Hi, While doing the development work with emacs, I just want to hide
> > certain lines. These lines does not constitute functions and I
> > cannot use narrow-region as I like to see the entire file. So
> > something like hide-region or hide-regions would be helpful. How I
> > can use outline mode to hide effectively what I want to hide from
> > point 'A' to point 'B'.
>
> Sounds like you want folding.el.  You'll have to put comments into
> your code to denote the beginning and ending of the fold, but, other
> than that, it sounds like what you want.

Hi,
 I will try folding.el.
 One problem:
 If I put comment surrounding that, I may not run my code properly.
 What I can do is to put some commented boundary around that as an alternative.
 Remembering the points like registers would be a better solution.

Thanks,
Artist.

* Re: HInding Lines
@ 2003-03-11  3:58 ` Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2003-03-11  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> Hi, While doing the development work with emacs, I just want to hide
> certain lines. These lines does not constitute functions and I
> cannot use narrow-region as I like to see the entire file. So
> something like hide-region or hide-regions would be helpful. How I
> can use outline mode to hide effectively what I want to hide from
> point 'A' to point 'B'.

I think what you want to do is slip into 'M-x outline-mode' and then
go to the level of indentation you want to hide (e.g. 4 spaces in) and
hit 'C-x $.'  Study up on it,  'cause I can't remember how to "unhide"
offhand.

--
Edward Dodge

/Confabulation Consulting/

* Re: HInding Lines
@ 2003-03-11 15:33     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-11 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

>  If I put comment surrounding that, I may not run my code properly.

I think there is a misunderstanding.  folding.el requires comment
lines with start markers and comment lines with end markers, and then
hides the code between the two lines.

In most programming languages, you can add comment lines in most
places without affecting the program.