all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Do I have to tramp-cleanup-connection?
@ 2012-05-27 20:14 rahed
From: rahed @ 2012-05-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I started to use tramp (instead of starting remote emacs).

One thing bothers me though. Whenever I interrupt my work for some time
the connection breaks and after reconnecting and trying to open a remote
file I get (mostly): Couldn't find exit status of `test -e /tmp.

I have to M-x tramp-cleanup-connection and again open a remote file
which is quite laborious.

I would welcome to clean a tramp cache automaticaly when closing a
connection or better leave the connection in the cache but avoid
the message "Couldn't find...".

tramp version is 2.2.3-24.1.

--
Radek

* Re: Do I have to tramp-cleanup-connection?
@ 2012-05-31 12:06 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-05-31 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> One thing bothers me though. Whenever I interrupt my work for some time
> the connection breaks and after reconnecting and trying to open a remote
> file I get (mostly): Couldn't find exit status of `test -e /tmp.
>
> I have to M-x tramp-cleanup-connection and again open a remote file
> which is quite laborious.
>
> I would welcome to clean a tramp cache automaticaly when closing a
> connection or better leave the connection in the cache but avoid
> the message "Couldn't find...".
>
> tramp version is 2.2.3-24.1.

With that Tramp version, I can reproduce a similar error (but another
error message). The Changelog claims it is solved in Tramp 2.2.4. Maybe
you give it a try, or you wait until the Tramp repository is merged into
Emacs' trunk. This is stalled these days, until Emacs 24.1 has been
released (or the trunk is reopened for fat merges like the one with Tramp).

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Do I have to tramp-cleanup-connection?
@ 2012-06-02 16:49   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2012-06-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> With that Tramp version, I can reproduce a similar error (but another
> error message). The Changelog claims it is solved in Tramp 2.2.4. Maybe
> you give it a try, or you wait until the Tramp repository is merged into
> Emacs' trunk. This is stalled these days, until Emacs 24.1 has been
> released (or the trunk is reopened for fat merges like the one with Tramp).

Now I use 2.2.5-pre. The message is "Couldn't find exit status of `test
-e...'" whenever I try to open a remote file. But the next reopening of the
same file is ok.

--

@ 2012-06-03  7:20     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-06-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

> Now I use 2.2.5-pre. The message is "Couldn't find exit status of `test
> -e...'" whenever I try to open a remote file. But the next reopening of the
> same file is ok.

I guess this is acceptable. Tramp needs a way to say that something is
broken (your network connection), before it cleans up everything.

Best regards, Michael.