Julien Cubizolles writes: > Bastien writes: > >> Julien Cubizolles writes: >> >>> I'm considering moving from Gnus to mu4e, mostly because I spend too >>> much time tinkering with settings I don't really understand/need in >>> Gnus, and because the search feature seems promising. >> >> After a *lot* of scratching and testing, here is my setup: >> >> - Gnus for news and mails: because there are too many things I miss in >> other MUA. A simple example: quote only the selected region when >> replying. This cannot be implemented easily in mu and notmuch. >> >> - notmuch as a search engine: mu is really great (I used it the last >> three months) but I cannot get used to mu4e. And starting mu4e with >> a database of 100K emails takes two or three seconds. >> >> - mbsync to sync imap folders as local maildirs: I used offlineimap >> for several years and mbsync is just faster. Sorry - I am late to this question. I am using the same setup, only with offlineimap - it works, and speed is not such a problem for me so that I would move to mbsync. > > That seems very interesting, and I think I'll try to set it > up. offlineimap or mbsync seems to be the right way to: > + have a fast access to my mail (nnimap from Gnus on a remote server > is a bit slow sometimes) > > + have a complete access from my mobile phone > > + I can still choose whatever MUA I want on top of that if I want to > try something else thant Gnus and still access my old nnml mail. Exactly - and you can easily make backups from your all your emails in a format which will be supported for quite some time. > > I have a few questions about some details of your setup: > > + regarding filtering and spam detection, do you rely on the > possibilities offered by you mail provider (Gmail or other)? I am using gmail for this - thought for some minutes about implementing it locally, but gmail works reliable. > > + you said you're running Dovecot. Gnus could also directly access the > local maildir without a local imap server the way mu4e does, couldn't > it ? What's the benefit of running it ? There is one program accessing the mail folder: dovecot - no conflicts, race conditions, no slightly different formats, standards, ... And you can also remotely access dovecot if you want to. By the way: the dovecot daemon is not permanently running, as I am using the shell access from gnus: ,---- | (nnimap-shell-program "/usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir"))) `---- The same from offlineimap: ,---- | preauthtunnel = /usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir `---- and offlineimap only reads the emails from the maildir. And I have found the following two functions to open the same message which is open in gnus in notmuch and the other way around: --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- ** In notmuch jump to gnus folder From [[http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html]]: But seeing just the message that matches is not enough, sometimes we want the whole thread. Here's a snippet of Lisp for your .gnus, based on Tassilo Horn's configuration. Do a Notmuch search, enter one of the results, type C-c C-c, you'll get transported to the folder where that message was, with the context. Note this requires code from org-mode, so you might need to install that. #+begin_src emacs-lisp (defun rmk/notmuch-file-to-group (file) "Calculate the Gnus group name from the given file name. " (let ((group (file-name-directory (directory-file-name (file-name-directory file))))) (setq group (replace-regexp-in-string ".*/Maildir/" "nnimap+Maildir:" group)) (setq group (replace-regexp-in-string "/$" "" group)) (if (string-match ":$" group) (concat group "INBOX") (replace-regexp-in-string ":\\." ":" group)))) (defun rmk/notmuch-goto-message-in-gnus () "Open a summary buffer containing the current notmuch article." (interactive) (let ((group (rmk/notmuch-file-to-group (notmuch-show-get-filename))) (message-id (replace-regexp-in-string "^id:" "" (notmuch-show-get-message-id)))) (setq message-id (replace-regexp-in-string "\"" "" message-id)) (if (and group message-id) (progn (switch-to-buffer "*Group*") (org-gnus-follow-link group message-id)) (message "Couldn't get relevant infos for switching to Gnus.")))) (define-key notmuch-show-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-c") 'rmk/notmuch-goto-message-in-gnus) #+end_src --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- Hope this helps, Rainer > >> - postfix with smtp_sender_dependent_authentication to use various >> smtp servers depending on the email I'm using. I see people use >> msmtp and msmtp-mta, which I tried for a while, but I'm just too >> impatient with the .3s you have to wait when sending. > > From looking at my fossilized .gnus.el, I'm using smtpmail, which > would be equivalent to msmtp. > > + I'm gonna need to duplicate this setup on two machines (laptop and > desktop). I guess running offline imap on the two machines and > synchronizing the nnml, nnarchive mail by unison would work. > > Thanks a lot for all this information. I've a much clearer idea of all > the possibilities now. > > Julien. > > > -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982