Typing an example from the "Read Syntax for Circular Objects" section of the manual into IELM can cause Emacs to hang or crash. I can reproduce this fairly consistently with an Emacs built from master on my machine. It took me several tries, but I was also able to reproduce it with the Emacs 25.1 installed by homebrew. Here are the steps: emacs -Q M-x ielm RET #1=(a #1#) RET C-p C-p RET Result: (on OS X) rainbow spinning mouse cursor, unresponsive Emacs There may be something timing-related going on, because these steps don't work every time and they seem to work more consistently if I enter the sequence of keystrokes quickly. If it doesn't happen the first time, navigating again to a previous line and editing it by adding a quote somewhere or another symbol and pressing RET again may cause it to happen. When I encountered this bug, I was working on one of my own branches based on commit eb610f2 in master, and Emacs crashed and gave me a stack trace, which I've attached. Since then I have not been able to reproduce the crash, just the hang.