all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
@ 2022-08-24  1:21 wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-24  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when writing tex and latex documents,
in ways similar to texmacs.  What can I do?

In texmacs there are the following keyboard shortcuts

"F6"  Bold
"TAB"  Greek Letters
"@*" Symbols (here circle with cross inside)

* Re: Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
@ 2022-08-24  1:43 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-24  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when
> writing tex and latex documents, in ways similar to
> texmacs.  What can I do?

Apply the scientific method! I think even the ancient Greeks
did that ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
@ 2022-08-24  4:01   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-08-24  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when
> > writing tex and latex documents, in ways similar to
> > texmacs. What can I do?
>

> Apply the scientific method! I think even the ancient Greeks
> did that ...

I'm arab, so I rubbed a lamp.

* Re: Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
@ 2022-08-24  5:31     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-24  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa wrote:

>>> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when
>>> writing tex and latex documents, in ways similar to
>>> texmacs. What can I do?
>>
>> Apply the scientific method! I think even the ancient
>> Greeks did that ...
>
> I'm arab, so I rubbed a lamp.

However only very, very advanced technology is incomparable to
magic ...

--

@ 2022-08-24 10:45 ` YE
From: YE @ 2022-08-24 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: wilnerthomas

> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols

I use `M-x insert-char' (bound to `C-x 8 <RET>') in this case.

But the packages with the (La)TeX support (f.i. AUCTeX) may provide
another tools.

* Re: Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
@ 2022-08-24 11:44   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-08-24 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

YE wrote:

>> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols
>
> I use `M-x insert-char' (bound to `C-x 8 <RET>') in
> this case.

But that doesn't work for the OP ...

--

@ 2022-08-24 14:23 ` Hendursaga
From: Hendursaga @ 2022-08-24 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilnerthomas, Help Gnu Emacs

> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when writing tex and latex documents, in ways similar to texmacs.  What can I do?

I can't speak for TeXmacs, but generally when I want to write in a different language, I switch to the relevant input method using Quail[1] or (if not CJK) Robin[2]. You would specifically want to look at the Greek input methods[3].

~ Hendursaga

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/international/quail.el?h=emacs-28.1
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/international/robin.el?h=emacs-28.1
[3] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/leim/quail/greek.el?h=emacs-28.1

* Re: Rapid writing for tex and latex documents
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-08-29 10:59 ` Alessandro Bertulli
From: Alessandro Bertulli @ 2022-08-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilnerthomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

wilnerthomas--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I want to rapidly write greek characters and symbols when writing tex and latex documents,
> in ways similar to texmacs.  What can I do?
>
> In texmacs there are the following keyboard shortcuts
>
> "F6"  Bold
> "TAB"  Greek Letters
> "@*" Symbols (here circle with cross inside)

Let me understand: are you a Greek-speaker, and you want to input Greek
text? Then you should look for input methods.
If, on the other hand, you need to insert some Greek symbols in math
only, then there are shortcut provided by the major modes. For example,
in AUCTeX, you have LaTeX mode math, where you have keybindings that
insert Greek character controls (such as \alpha, \beta ecc). Another
popular way is to use CDLaTeX mode, where you press '`', and have access
to a big number of commands (for instance, `a inserts \alpha, `. inserts
\cdot).

Does this answer you?

Alessandro