all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-13  5:30 Leo
From: Leo @ 2003-10-13  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there

i'm using the mac osx carbon built of emacs and i have aproblem with the
short cut to write file: C-x works, but C-w seems to be captured by the mac
os (i guess, the finder shows up). how can i send the ctrl-w really to the
emacs?

cheers, leo

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-15 16:49 ` data64
From: data64 @ 2003-10-15 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Leo" <leo.broska@NOSPAM.isys.com.au> wrote in

> hi there
>
> i'm using the mac osx carbon built of emacs and i have aproblem with
> the short cut to write file: C-x works, but C-w seems to be captured
> by the mac os (i guess, the finder shows up). how can i send the
> ctrl-w really to the emacs?
>
> cheers, leo

bind the "write-file" command to some other key.
See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/KeybindingGuide
for information about how to bind keys.

data64

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-15 18:38   ` Hugh Wolf
From: Hugh Wolf @ 2003-10-15 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-15, data64 <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> bind the "write-file" command to some other key.

Something is wrong with the OP's environment.  He should fix that
rather than messing with emacs key bindings.  OSX has no interest in
c-w and will not interfere with its use in emacs.

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-15 20:37     ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-10-15 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> writes:

> On 2003-10-15, data64 <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> > bind the "write-file" command to some other key.
>
> Something is wrong with the OP's environment.  He should fix that
> rather than messing with emacs key bindings.  OSX has no interest in
> c-w and will not interfere with its use in emacs.

I concur.  The Finder does not intercept C-w on my system, using the
Porkrind version of Emacs for OS X 10.1.*.  Obvioulsy I can't vouch
for any port of Emacs for 10.2.*.

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16  2:30     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2003-10-16  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Hugh Wolf" <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> wrote in message
> On 2003-10-15, data64 <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> > bind the "write-file" command to some other key.
>
> Something is wrong with the OP's environment.

the OP, what's that? but i guess i means me.. ;-)

> He should fix that rather than messing with emacs key bindings.  OSX has
no interest in
> c-w and will not interfere with its use in emacs.

mmmmmh, i will have a look if any applescript or so is bound to that (don't
think so...)

cheers, leo

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16  4:20       ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-10-16  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Leo" <leo.broska@NOSPAM.isys.com.au> writes:

> "Hugh Wolf" <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> wrote in message
>
> > Something is wrong with the OP's environment.
>
> the OP, what's that? but i guess i means me.. ;-)

Original Poster.  Him what started the thread.  Or her.

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16 12:55       ` Hugh Wolf
From: Hugh Wolf @ 2003-10-16 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-15, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>> Something is wrong with the OP's environment.  He should fix that
>> rather than messing with emacs key bindings.  OSX has no interest in
>> c-w and will not interfere with its use in emacs.
>
> I concur.  The Finder does not intercept C-w on my system, using the
> Porkrind version of Emacs for OS X 10.1.*.  Obvioulsy I can't vouch
> for any port of Emacs for 10.2.*.

No Apple software I'm aware of intercepts C-w, or any other control
character for that matter, in any version of osx.  A few control
characters can be used in aqua text widgets for emacs-like navigation,
but only if the widget is selected.  Similarly many applications will
use control in conjunction with mouse clicking, but only if that
application is selected.

The only keys I can think of that are grabbed are the command/windows
key (for cmd-tab, which is like alt-tab in Windows), some function
keys, and some special purpose keys that appear only on Apple
keyboards (volume control, cd eject).

Otoh there are 3rd-party tools that can definitely be configured to
grab certain control sequences.  For instance VirtualDesktop can be
made to grab C-leftarrow and C-rightarrow for desktop navigation.
Presumably something like this is what's happening here.

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16 15:47     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-10-16 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnbor51f.4nq.hwolf@esb.dsl.bbn.com>,
Hugh Wolf  <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> wrote:
>On 2003-10-15, data64 <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> bind the "write-file" command to some other key.
>
>Something is wrong with the OP's environment.  He should fix that
>rather than messing with emacs key bindings.  OSX has no interest in
>c-w and will not interfere with its use in emacs.

It sounds to me like he has C-w mapped to do the same thing as Cmd-w, which
conventionally closes the current window.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16 17:09       ` Hugh Wolf
From: Hugh Wolf @ 2003-10-16 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-16, Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me like he has C-w mapped to do the same thing as Cmd-w, which
> conventionally closes the current window.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'mapped' -- mapped by what?  OSX lets
you select keyboard layouts but it doesn't let you remap individual
key sequences.

As far as emacs is concerned Cmd is either Alt or Meta, depending on
the user's preferences.  Of course a-w and m-w could be bound to some
elisp function that has arbitrarily weird side-effects.  But the OP
would have had to have done that himself.

As for Cmd-w, you're right that this conventionally closes the
currently selected window.  But not in emacs, which by definition is
the selected window at the time.  Cmd-w will never be grabbed by any
other applications, again unless some non-standard third-party tool is
installed -- in which case it's just as likely that he has it
configured to grab Ctrl-w.

All in all, this theory doesn't seem to provide any explanations.

The single most likely reason the OP is having trouble is that he's
running a year-old build of a cvs snapshot, built by someone other
than him with unknown configuration options in an unknown environment.
Probably this will all go away if he rebuilds it himself from the
current sources.

* Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
@ 2003-10-16 18:39         ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-10-16 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> writes:

> The single most likely reason the OP is having trouble is that he's
> running a year-old build of a cvs snapshot, built by someone other
> than him with unknown configuration options in an unknown environment.
> Probably this will all go away if he rebuilds it himself from the
> current sources.

Since he's a Mac OS X user (like me) it's quite likely that he is
running someone else's build.  Mac users are not accustomed to
compiling from source, the Mac OS not having the tools available to
the general public prior to OS X.  His post states he's using the
Carbon version, which is likely compiled using Andrew Choi's patches
to the Emacs source.  There are two commonly available Carbon builds
for OS X (one for 10.1.* and one for 10.2.*), both of which have known
problems that seem to be related to adapting Emacs to the Mac menu bar
interface.

As I've mentioned previously, I'm running 10.1.5 (a fit of resistance
to Apple's full-list-price "upgrade" policy) and the www.porkrind.org
21.1 build, and am not able to duplicate the OP's experience.  Perhaps
trying a different build would be in order?