all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to compile C-code within emacs?
@ 2008-08-23 20:27 ssecorp
From: ssecorp @ 2008-08-23 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to set up Emacs so I can compile C-code to an exe from
within emacs itself?
Perhaps this is even a built-in?

Is gcc the preferred C-compiler for most?

* Re: How to compile C-code within emacs?
@ 2008-08-23 21:29 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2008-08-23 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article
<8e12fcf8-a569-4250-addd-ce3a23fcfacd@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
 ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to set up Emacs so I can compile C-code to an exe from
> within emacs itself?
> Perhaps this is even a built-in?
>
> Is gcc the preferred C-compiler for most?

M-x compile

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How to compile C-code within emacs?
@ 2008-08-23 21:54   ` ssecorp
From: ssecorp @ 2008-08-23 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 23, 11:29 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <8e12fcf8-a569-4250-addd-ce3a23fcf...@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  ssecorp <circularf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to set up Emacs so I can compile C-code to an exe from
> > within emacs itself?
> > Perhaps this is even a built-in?
>
> > Is gcc the preferred C-compiler for most?
>
> M-x compile
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

and then I write?

DO I have to put a path to a c-compiler in .emacs?

I use windows btw.

* Re: How to compile C-code within emacs?
@ 2008-08-23 22:31 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssecorp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.08.2008 um 22:27 schrieb ssecorp:

> Is there a way to set up Emacs so I can compile C-code to an exe from
> within emacs itself?

Yes. Tell it how to do it in compile-mode (i.e., pass the compile
command).

> Perhaps this is even a built-in?

Compile-mode knows how to handle a [Mm]akefile.

> Is gcc the preferred C-compiler for most?

For me: yes.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: How to compile C-code within emacs?
@ 2008-08-24 12:16     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-08-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ssecorp; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

ssecorp <circularfunc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 11:29 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> M-x compile
>
> and then I write?

Whatever you'd write on a command line.

> DO I have to put a path to a c-compiler in .emacs?

If it isn't in the PATH, yes.  Put it in `exec-path'.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher