Emanuel Berg writes: > Drew Adams writes: > >> You might be interested in this comment (the only >> one so far, it seems), from a veteran Electrical >> Engineer in Santa Clara, CA: >> >> ... At the age of eighteen, my fingers learned >> to build emacs keyboard macros and I think I can >> use them in my sleep. I still use GNUemacs (and >> Aquamacs) every day. > > Again this emphasis on keyboard macros I never > understood it and never did it - but so many people > often bring it up first thing! I always thought of it > as poor man's programming, and I still do, but perhaps > I'm wrong again as so many people likes and uses it > so much. > >> Since, aside from venues such as the present one, >> I eschew use of all media tar babies such as the >> FacebookianInstaTwitterverse, you'd think I'd >> cocooned myself far from the "app" madding crowd. > > It is really depressing but it is better not to use > and not to think of it. "Don't hate the software, > become the software." Or, write new interfaces to get > just what you like, the way you like it. > > I recently mentioned my w3m hacks. But there are many > big projects like that as well. I recently discovered > the Debian package mps-youtube (with /usr/bin/mpsyt) > which allows you to access the whole YT media archive > from the shell, and with super-speed and power to > extract just what you look for. Wonderful! Dam it - I had to try mps-youtube, and now I lost nearly an hour to browsing youtube because of you - youtube was never that much fun! Thanks, Rainer > >> Sometimes I wish that all software types would >> just Stop Doing Stuff. >> >> Alas, one person's shiny new "modernization" is >> another person's annoying >> Clippy-the-not-so-helpful-helper. > > Oh, no! Not this again! > > Yes, it is "true" in a literal sense but the beneath > attitude is destructive and even incorrect! > > The constructive approach which doesn't suffer from > the problem is: add as much useful stuff as possible, > but don't put it where anyone sees it and don't have > it interfere with anything else, and when the time > comes and when it is needed it is right there! > > In a bicycle repair shop there are a lot of tools as > it should. So a good idea is to hang them on the walls > so you can still have the bikes and move around on the > floor. The most used tools are the closest to you, and > the least often ones hang just below the ceiling. > > Because you *want* a lot of tools, in the repair shop > and even more so in the software world because here > they won't even fill the room you are in and you don't > have to bother organizing everything and do the old > care of kit (which I enjoy, but that's beside the > point). > > This minimalist hysteria is a misconception. We *do* > want tools and power - the more the better - just not > in our faces until the moment they are used. > People think of features as pop-ups and buttons and > irritating blink-blink - there is in fact no such > implication, and if it is, don't blame the features! -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982