all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
To: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to get a pinentry box to digitally sign all emails
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 16:30:37 +0200	[thread overview]

    >> ;; auto-sign all mail
    >> ;;(add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgp)
    >> ;;(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgp)
    >> (setq mml-secure-openpgp-sign-with-sender t
    >> ;;    mml-secure-message-sign-pgp t
    >> mml-secure-smime-sign-with-sender t)
    >> (setq epg-pinentry-mode 'ask)
    >>
    >> And just to check, I have 'pinentry-gnome3' installed, but I have just
    >> installed all 'pinentry-*' packages.
    >>
    >> So lets see what happens now then!?
    >>

    Sharon> And after rebooting I'm still unable to get the pinentry box popping up,
    Sharon> although this one will be signed because I've manually inserted
    Sharon> '<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>' at the heading off the mail. but
    Sharon> how can I get it appearing automatically without me having to manually
    Sharon> click it in the menus?

Remove the ';;' from your two add-hook commands above (and either
evaluate .emacs or restart emacs).

If youʼre not getting a pinentry box from emacs, but you are getting
one from other programs, itʼs possible that gpg has decided to cache
an earlier answer. You can control that with the 'default-cache-ttl'
and 'max-cache-ttl' settings in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf (and I donʼt
remember offhand if such changes are dynamic).

Robert