all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?
@ 2006-01-27 14:22 Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2006-01-27 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm working in a system which has longish compile commands, for
example, "cd /work/smithr/sandbox/B-IC-6-2/smarts/clsapi; gmake
BV=SUFFIX=V65".

It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the last
compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant cache
across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

* Re: Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?
@ 2006-01-28  0:30 ` Kevin Rodgers
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-01-28  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy Smith wrote:
> I'm working in a system which has longish compile commands, for
> example, "cd /work/smithr/sandbox/B-IC-6-2/smarts/clsapi; gmake
> BV=SUFFIX=V65".

`M-x recompile' is your friend.

> It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
> session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
> that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the last
> compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant cache
> across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

Perhaps the Desktop library (documented in the "Saving Emacs Sessions"
node of the Emacs manual) will do the trick, once compile-command has
been added to desktop-globals-to-save.

Desktop probably does more than you want, though, so maybe you'll want
to set desktop-buffers-not-to-save and/or desktop-files-not-to-save to
".*".

Or you could roll your own kill-emacs-hook that writes
(setq compile-command "...")
to ~/compile-command.el, and have ~/.emacs automatically load
"~/compile-command".

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?
@ 2006-01-29  4:48 ` Ian Zimmerman
       [not found] ` <mailman.91.1138510309.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2006-01-29  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roy> It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
Roy> session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
Roy> that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the
Roy> last compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant
Roy> cache across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?

Use the desktop module and

(add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save '(compile-history . 20))

or something similar.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.

@ 2006-01-29 13:56   ` Roy Smith
From: Roy Smith @ 2006-01-29 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.91.1138510309.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Roy> It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
> Roy> session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
> Roy> that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the
> Roy> last compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant
> Roy> cache across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?
>
> Use the desktop module and
>
> (add-to-list 'desktop-globals-to-save '(compile-history . 20))
>
> or something similar.

Wow, I'd never heard of desktop before.  Sounds like exactly what I'm
looking for, thanks!

* Re: Making M-X compile cache compile command across sessions?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.91.1138510309.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-29 18:30 ` Berthold Höllmann
From: Berthold Höllmann @ 2006-01-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

roy@panix.com (Roy Smith) writes:

> I'm working in a system which has longish compile commands, for
> example, "cd /work/smithr/sandbox/B-IC-6-2/smarts/clsapi; gmake
> BV=SUFFIX=V65".
>
> It's a pain to type all this every time I start up a new emacs
> session.  I know I can setq compile-command in my .emacs file, but
> that's a little too static.  It would be cool if emacs wrote the last
> compile command I used out to a file so it has a persistant cache
> across emacs sessions.  Any way to make it do that?
>
> I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

I usually solve this via file variables. Usually you call this make
command when editin specific files. Let the files end with

  ;;; Local Variables: ***
  ;;; compile-command: "cd /work/smithr/sandbox/B-IC-6-2/smarts/clsapi; gmake BV=SUFFIX=V65" ***

and M-x compile provides you with the wanted default.

--
berthold@xn--hllmanns-n4a.de / <http://höllmanns.de/>
bhoel@web.de                 / <http://starship.python.net/crew/bhoel/>