all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cc-mode configuration issues
@ 2008-07-14 14:04 Rodrigo Canellas
From: Rodrigo Canellas @ 2008-07-14 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I read the CC Mode manual, but I still do not know how to do a couple of
things:

1 -
How to automatically insert a new line when C/C++ code is coming to, for
example, column 78. I was able to do this with comment lines, inserting
" '(c-max-one-liner-length 77)" in my '.emacs', but it does not work for
code.

2 -
I would like to insert a single space after certain characters, such as
'+', '-', '&', '=', etc. I think I can do this with a hook lisp
function, but I do not know how.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks a lot!

believed to be clean.

* Re: cc-mode configuration issues
@ 2008-07-15  3:37 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.14781.1216142883.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-07-15  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodrigo Canellas wrote:
> I read the CC Mode manual, but I still do not know how to do a couple of
> things:
>
> 1 -
> How to automatically insert a new line when C/C++ code is coming to, for
> example, column 78. I was able to do this with comment lines, inserting
> " '(c-max-one-liner-length 77)" in my '.emacs', but it does not work for
> code.

The "Custom Filling and Line Breaking" node hints that you should turn
on auto fill mode and exclude the `code' symbol from c-ignore-auto-fill.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: cc-mode configuration issues
@ 2008-07-15 13:16   ` Rodrigo Canellas
From: Rodrigo Canellas @ 2008-07-15 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin,

Thanks a lot! It works fine!

Kevin Rodgers escreveu:
> Rodrigo Canellas wrote:
>> I read the CC Mode manual, but I still do not know how to do a couple
>> of things:
>>
>> 1 -
>> How to automatically insert a new line when C/C++ code is coming to,
>> for example, column 78. I was able to do this with comment lines,
>> inserting " '(c-max-one-liner-length 77)" in my '.emacs', but it does
>> not work for code.
>
> The "Custom Filling and Line Breaking" node hints that you should turn
> on auto fill mode and exclude the `code' symbol from c-ignore-auto-fill.

believed to be clean.

* insert space after specific chars
@ 2008-07-15 17:25 ` Rodrigo Canellas
       [not found] ` <mailman.14781.1216142883.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rodrigo Canellas @ 2008-07-15 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I would like to insert a single space after certain characters, such as
'+', '-', '&', '=', etc.

I think I can do this with a hook lisp function, but I do not know how.

Ideas?

Thanks a lot!

believed to be clean.

* Re: insert space after specific chars
       [not found] ` <mailman.14781.1216142883.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-15 18:23   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2008-07-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rodrigo Canellas <rodrigo.canellas@tqtvd.com> writes:
> I would like to insert a single space after certain characters, such
> as '+', '-', '&', '=', etc.
>
> I think I can do this with a hook lisp function, but I do not know how.

I assume you don't what this to occur everywhere, only in a certain mode.

That means that you will have to locate that mode hook variable (M-x
apropos RET <the-mode> hook RET), and add to it some "meat", that is a
function that will customize the behavior of these keys,  by modifying
the local bindings of the buffer.

(defun self-insert-and-space-command ()
  (interactive)
  (insert last-command-char " "))

M-x local-set-key RET + RET self-insert-and-space-command RET

If it's ok, then define your meat:

(defun <the-mode>-meat ()
   (dolist (key (list (kbd "+")
                      (kbd "-")
                      (kbd "&")
                      (kbd "=")))
      (local-set-key key 'self-insert-and-space-command)))

Then hook the meat:

(add-hook '<the-mode>-hook  '<the-mode>-meat)

When you test the hook, be sure to kill and reopen the buffer, or
directly execute the meat with M-: (<the-mode>-meat) RET

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically
charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred
million miles per hour.

* Re: insert space after specific chars
@ 2008-07-15 20:00     ` Rodrigo Canellas
From: Rodrigo Canellas @ 2008-07-15 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: insert space after specific chars
@ 2008-07-16 21:10   ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-07-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Canellas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rodrigo Canellas <rodrigo.canellas@tqtvd.com> wrote:

> I would like to insert a single space after certain characters, such as '+',
>
> I think I can do this with a hook lisp function, but I do not know how.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/SmartOperator

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher