In reading the comments in `xdisp.c`, there is a lot of mention about checking to see if the function that ran changed `window-start` and whether the cursor is still visible. In my own tests over the past few days, I created something just like `post-redisplay-hook` that runs towards the end of redisplay. I felt that my own feeble attempt to create the equivalent of the `post-redisplay-hook` had no checking built-in (due to lack knowledge / experience on my part). So, I love the idea of a `post-redisplay-hook`, but think there probably needs to be some type of check to see whether the function that ran from it did some things that require certain recalculations -- e.g., maybe cursor was moved and is no longer partially or fully visible (there is even a setting I discovered where a user can decide that a partially visible cursor is just fine), maybe some text was inserted prior to window-start (which means the prior value is outdated), etc. Sorry that I didn't understand your previous comments about the `pre-command-hook` potentially being a substitute for the contemplated `post-redisplay-hook`. Michael is correct -- the goal is generally to have the screen looking perfectly once redisplay concludes and the `pre-command-hook` (after the fact) can't accomplish that goal. When switching windows, the `pre-command-hook` will also have the wrong window in mind -- the correct window/buffer needs to be determined after the main command finishes. Attached is an example of what I have been using for the past few days while I continue my ongoing tinkering -- it creates a new animal just like `window-scroll-functions` but with a different name. Keith ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; At Fri, 29 Jan 2016 16:37:16 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > From: Michael Heerdegen > > Cc: Keith David Bershatsky , 22404@debbugs.gnu.org > > Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:00:42 +0100 > > > > Anyway, using pre-command-hook is too late for us: it's not executed > > unless the next input arrives, so you have to hit a key until > > decorations or whatever get updated. > > Then maybe we need a post-redisplay-hook.