all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Andrew Hyatt <ahyatt@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: triples
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 01:15:10 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 09:29 AM Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Yes, it's possible for me to rework it. However, it then would
>> be available just to those on Emacs 29, which seems
>> restrictive.  Would it make sense to try to be compatible with
>> both by wrapping the calls and just using whichever sqlite
>> package is available?
>
> That's what I was hoping for, yes.  But either way is fine by me
> :-)

I've started looking into this.  Interesting consideration is that
emacsql and sqlite have a bit different representations: in sqlite
everything is a string, but emacsql will store symbols, numbers
differently than strings, which are wrapped in the database with
extra quotes to mark them as strings.  I'll try to keep
compatibility between these versions, which really I think means
that our use of sqlite has to support emacsql's way of doing
things.

About the possibility of using one or the other, whichever is
available, how would that work in terms of package dependencies?
I don't think it's possible to have an OR dependency specified in
the package-dependencies line in the source, but really only one
of emacsql or emacs29 would be required.  If you have any insight
into this, it'd be useful.

>> Anyway, it doesn't hurt for me to make a branch and just
>> completely switch to the Emacs 29 sqlite to see if anything
>> interesting comes up, so I'll do that soon.
>
> It's probably a good first step in any case, before deciding if
> and how to merge the two cases.

Great, that is what I'm doing.  When it passes tests, I'll let you
know.