all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* info and dir.old
@ 2003-11-14  5:21 Mike Ballard
From: Mike Ballard @ 2003-11-14  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

I've used Info for years.  I'm having an exceptionally irritating problem
I can't find the cause of - something is searching my INFOPATH and
renaming my personal top-level dir to dir.old (i.e., turning it off).
Anyone know what I can look for to stop this highly agitating behavior?

Mike
--

mike.ballard--at--earthlink.net

  "Roses are red, violets are blue,
   I'm schizophrenic and so am I"

* Re: info and dir.old
@ 2003-11-14  9:35 ` Mike Ballard
From: Mike Ballard @ 2003-11-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri Nov 14, Mike Ballard disturbed my nap when he said:

> Hi -
>
> I've used Info for years.  I'm having an exceptionally irritating problem
> I can't find the cause of - something is searching my INFOPATH and
> renaming my personal top-level dir to dir.old (i.e., turning it off).
> Anyone know what I can look for to stop this highly agitating behavior?

Never mind.  I'm using gentoo which has a tool named "emerge" for
installing source code.  One of its last steps when doing so is, for some
(inexplicable?) reason, renaming my top-level dir (found evidently by
parsing INFOPATH).

Mike
--

@ 2003-11-14 17:31   ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2003-11-14 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike> Never mind.  I'm using gentoo which has a tool named "emerge" for
Mike> installing source code.  One of its last steps when doing so is,
Mike> for some (inexplicable?) reason, renaming my top-level dir (found
Mike> evidently by parsing INFOPATH).

Does the code you're installing perhaps include some Info manuals?

--
"Rap music is our punishment for neglecting music education."
An anonymous teacher

* Re: info and dir.old
@ 2003-11-16  4:11     ` Mike Ballard
From: Mike Ballard @ 2003-11-16  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat Nov 15, Ian Zimmerman disturbed my nap when he said:

> Mike> Never mind.  I'm using gentoo which has a tool named "emerge" for
> Mike> installing source code.  One of its last steps when doing so is,
> Mike> for some (inexplicable?) reason, renaming my top-level dir (found
> Mike> evidently by parsing INFOPATH).
>
> Does the code you're installing perhaps include some Info manuals?

Functionally it doesn't matter since I don't want it renaming my top-level
dir whether I did or didn't just install some source that had Info files.

But to answer your question, I just emerge'd some xcursors and when emerge
finished it said "Regenerating GNU info directory index."  Checked my
personal top-level dir before and after and it renamed it (I don't
see/can't image Info files for xcursors).  I don't understand python so
commenting the offending line may lose me something I don't want to lose.
I'll find out how to file bugs and file one on this.  Since I only use
Info from emacs I may just shorten my shell INFOPATH to get around it for
now.

Incidentally, I have "emacs" in my USE var so this regeneration may be
something I get because of it (I see nothing else in my USE var that would
indicate possible Info-related stuff).

Mike