all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Simple outlining
@ 2007-04-25  3:01 Yang
       [not found] ` <mailman.2495.1177486480.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Yang @ 2007-04-25  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, are there any outlining tools for Emacs that support the following
type of outline editing?

 - plugin will auto-insert bullets when i
  manually break a line
 - plugin will auto-hanging-indent when
  the text wraps (and preferably
  maintain filled lines as I edit)
    - hitting tab (or something) will
      indent the outline
    - hitting shift-tab will de-indent
      the outline (instead of needing
      to manually delete the correct
      amount)

I've looked at Outline and Allout but they don't quite provide this. I
tried asking in #emacs but the folks there said they didn't know of
such a tool (I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist). Thanks in advance.

* Re: Simple outlining
@ 2007-04-25  7:29 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.2495.1177486480.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2007-04-25  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

----- Yang (2007-04-25) wrote:-----

> - plugin will auto-insert bullets when i
>  manually break a line
> - plugin will auto-hanging-indent when
>  the text wraps (and preferably
>  maintain filled lines as I edit)
>    - hitting tab (or something) will
>      indent the outline
>    - hitting shift-tab will de-indent
>      the outline (instead of needing
>      to manually delete the correct
>      amount)

org.el can do those things you ask for and much more. However the key
bindings are different than what you suggested. You just need to
customize yourself.

* Re: Simple outlining
       [not found] ` <mailman.2495.1177486480.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-04-29 14:00   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-04-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> ----- Yang (2007-04-25) wrote:-----
>
>> - plugin will auto-insert bullets when i
>>  manually break a line
>> - plugin will auto-hanging-indent when
>>  the text wraps (and preferably
>>  maintain filled lines as I edit)
>>    - hitting tab (or something) will
>>      indent the outline
>>    - hitting shift-tab will de-indent
>>      the outline (instead of needing
>>      to manually delete the correct
>>      amount)
>
> org.el can do those things you ask for and much more. However the key
> bindings are different than what you suggested. You just need to
> customize yourself.

And before you use org, thing of using planner instead - it has some
great integration with w3m, gnus, etc.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode