all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* XML "folding" mode
@ 2003-12-03  6:19 leo
From: leo @ 2003-12-03  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there

want to do some editing on text data content in xml files. how can emacs
help me?

i think about a xml-mode which hides or "unfolds" the xml tags only showing
the content data. it would make it much easier to edit this stuff.

i found the emacs lib xml.el, but that doesn't seem to provide a mode or so.

any idea is appreciated.

thanks, leo

* Re: XML "folding" mode
@ 2003-12-03 16:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-12-03 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i think about a xml-mode which hides or "unfolds" the xml tags only showing
> the content data. it would make it much easier to edit this stuff.

You mean it should turn

    <tag arg=foo arg2=bar>
      <tag2 />
    </tag>

into something like

    <tag...>
      <tag2 />
    </tag>

or into something like:

    <tag arg=foo arg2=bar>
    </tag>

or both/either ?
The answer doesn't really matter since I don't know of any package that
provides this functionality directly, but I'm just tryin gto understand
better what you want.
It shouldn't be too difficult to add hs-minor-mode support to sgml-mode
(the major mode used to edit XML files).

* Re: XML "folding" mode
@ 2003-12-03 19:10   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does nxml-mode do the job you want?  (I don't know, I've never tried
it.  The author is apparently James Clark.  The COPYING file indicates
a GPL but the fine print at the bottom is for "gnomovision" rather
than for nxml-mode).

* Re: XML "folding" mode
@ 2003-12-07 17:42 ` Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2003-12-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"leo" <halloleo@noospaam.myrealbox.com> wrote:

> i think about a xml-mode which hides or "unfolds" the xml tags only showing
> the content data. it would make it much easier to edit this stuff.

If I understand your question correctly, PSGML-mode can help
you here. From its documentation:

   Folding editing

   With these commands you can make parts of the text temporarily
   invisible to make it easier to see the overall structure of
   your text.

   When folding a region all the lines but the first will be
   invisible. The first line of the region will still be
   visible with an ellipsis at the end.

 ECL

--
Emilio C. Lopes
München <48°8'N, 11°34'E>

Is that a Lisp interpreter in your editor, or are you just happy to see me?