all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-10  7:33 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-09-10  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Can someone share an article or any other resource for making Emacs a
productive environment for Java (mainly for writing Flink jobs)?

Best,
--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-10  7:53 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2017-09-10  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-10 14:31   ` Carlos Konstanski
From: Carlos Konstanski @ 2017-09-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 01:03:49PM +0530, Narendra Joshi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can someone share an article or any other resource for making Emacs a
>> productive environment for Java (mainly for writing Flink jobs)?
>
> Development environment is in the eye of the beholder (or perhaps in
> a less aphoristic language: expectations vary a lot depending on user).
>
> But a good starting point to research might be the Emacs wiki. Search
> for "Java".
>
> One of the hits which might fit your query is here:
>
>   https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/JavaDevelopmentEnvironment
>
> Enjoy
> -- t

Back in the java 1.4.2 days I used JDEE heavily. It was great. Since
then I haven't done much java programming. I know that JDEE wasn't
keeping up with 1.5 and 1.6, but then the project saw new life and I
would be willing to bet that it has been brought fully up to snuff.

I also used XRefactory. It now appears to be dead. While JDEE handled
the buffer mode and the keybindings for building, cleaning, etc.,
XRefactory handled completion and navigation through the codebase. I
believe that JDEE has been improved to handle these tasks.

Carlos

* Re: Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-10 17:12 ` Jay Kamat
From: Jay Kamat @ 2017-09-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Joshi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

> Can someone share an article or any other resource for making Emacs a
> productive environment for Java (mainly for writing Flink jobs)?

I tried many options in the past, and I find meghanada mode the easiest
to use and the most effective.

https://github.com/mopemope/meghanada-emacs

Before I tried that, I was just using stock java-mode in emacs.

-Jay

* Re: Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-11  6:34   ` Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2017-09-11  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 09/10/2017 10:12 AM, Jay Kamat wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Can someone share an article or any other resource for making Emacs a
>> productive environment for Java (mainly for writing Flink jobs)?
> I tried many options in the past, and I find meghanada mode the easiest
> to use and the most effective.
>
> https://github.com/mopemope/meghanada-emacs
>
> Before I tried that, I was just using stock java-mode in emacs.

That looks very interesting.

I'll just add that for a while I was using emacs-eclim which uses
eclipse as the java tool and emacs as the editor. I don't know that
state of it now.

I use either Intellij or Eclipse as debugger, and some times for code
completion. Mainly with gradle as the build tool.

So, I edit in emacs and switch back and forth. I will have to check out
the gradle support in Meghanada-emacs.

Kendall

* Re: Help with Java Programming in Emacs
@ 2017-09-12  0:23     ` kermit
From: kermit @ 2017-09-12  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:

> On 09/10/2017 10:12 AM, Jay Kamat wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Can someone share an article or any other resource for making Emacs a
>>> productive environment for Java (mainly for writing Flink jobs)?
>> I tried many options in the past, and I find meghanada mode the easiest
>> to use and the most effective.
>>
>> https://github.com/mopemope/meghanada-emacs
>>
>> Before I tried that, I was just using stock java-mode in emacs.
>
> That looks very interesting.
>
> I'll just add that for a while I was using emacs-eclim which uses eclipse as the
> java tool and emacs as the editor. I don't know that state of it now.
>
> I use either Intellij or Eclipse as debugger, and some times for code
> completion. Mainly with gradle as the build tool.
>
> So, I edit in emacs and switch back and forth. I will have to check out the
> gradle support in Meghanada-emacs.
>
> Kendall

"Meghanada" is great,but it seems that it has some extra requirements,
such as "tested only linux (maybe macOS OK). windows not support." and
"require Java 8".

I have tried emacs-eclim, it is too slow to write code. So I still
simply use java-mode. Anyway, I just write some toy project with Java,
so it doesn't matter so much.