all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Delete acting as backspace
@ 2009-03-29 20:13 Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-03-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
standard backspace.
I did not find any configuration detail under NS customization pane,
but I can have missed it.

Any help?
TIA
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões

* Re: Delete acting as backspace
       [not found] <mailman.4215.1238357644.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-29 21:22 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-29 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com> writes:
> In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
> Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
> standard backspace.
> I did not find any configuration detail under NS customization pane,
> but I can have missed it.

You don't say whether you're using emacs thru a terminal, thru X, or
thru Aqua.  The handling of the keyboard depends on the kind of
terminal you use, not on emacs.

However, you can configure emacs to react differently from keyboard
events.  You may use M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode RET to toggle
the Erase and Delete mode of the Backspace and Delete keys.

But of course it would be better to configure your terminal correctly
in the first place.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Delete acting as backspace
@ 2009-03-30 12:55   ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-03-30 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon
<pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:
> Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com> writes:
>> In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
>> Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
>> standard backspace.
>> I did not find any configuration detail under NS customization pane,
>> but I can have missed it.
>
> You don't say whether you're using emacs thru a terminal, thru X, or
> thru Aqua.  The handling of the keyboard depends on the kind of
> terminal you use, not on emacs.

Emacs under MacOS / NS says all :) The NextStep build for eamcs.

> However, you can configure emacs to react differently from keyboard
> events.  You may use M-x normal-erase-is-backspace-mode RET to toggle
> the Erase and Delete mode of the Backspace and Delete keys.

I'll try. thanks

--

@ 2009-03-30 20:09 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Simões; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
> Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
> standard backspace.

If you press C-h k <your key>, you'll see this:

DEL (translated from <kp-delete>) runs the command
backward-delete-char-untabify, which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`simple.el'.

It is bound to DEL.

The key is "translated" to DEL, you can fix this by binding it to
something else:

(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)

If you're think that the default behavior is wrong, please also report a
bug (M-x report-emacs-bug).

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Delete acting as backspace
@ 2009-03-31  7:17   ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2009-03-31  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:09:55PM +0200, Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
>Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
>> Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
>> standard backspace.
>
>If you press C-h k <your key>, you'll see this:
>
>DEL (translated from <kp-delete>) runs the command
>backward-delete-char-untabify, which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>`simple.el'.
>
>It is bound to DEL.
>
>The key is "translated" to DEL, you can fix this by binding it to
>something else:
>
>(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)
>

>If you're think that the default behavior is wrong, please also report a
>bug (M-x report-emacs-bug).

I've got the following in my .emacs:

;; Cocoa emacs, for some bizarre reason DELETE key is bound to
backward-delete-char-untabify
;;and make home and end behave in a non-mac way!
(if (string-match "darwin" (version))
( progn
(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)
(global-set-key (kbd "<backspace>") 'backward-delete-char)
(global-set-key (kbd "<home>") 'move-beginning-of-line)
(global-set-key (kbd "<end>") 'move-end-of-line)
) )

If you don't like my home/end stuff please remove those lines. Since I
don't understand what is special about the -untabify function, I
didn't think it was a bug, but I did want my keyboard to behave like I
was used to on other platforms.

Regards,
Jonathan

* Re: Delete acting as backspace
@ 2009-04-01 20:43     ` Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2009-04-01 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Groll; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)

[...]

> (if (string-match "darwin" (version))
> ( progn
> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<backspace>") 'backward-delete-char)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<home>") 'move-beginning-of-line)
> (global-set-key (kbd "<end>") 'move-end-of-line)
> ) )

Yay!
Thank you both! Now I have a delete key!
Hurray! :)

Alberto
--
Alberto Simões