all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs for Mac
@ 2008-01-03 20:43 Alberto Simões
From: Alberto Simões @ 2008-01-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs

Hi

For some time that the emacs I use on my Mac is a hand compiled one. CVS
checkout, disable X11, enable Carbon.

Now, I have a new mac, and thus, I need to recompile Emacs. CVS checked
out, configure and... Carbon is deprecated.

The question is: it is deprecated and no other solution is being developed?

And yes, there is aquamacs that sucks because tried to mimic mac-os
specific key bindings, and there is emacs.app, that is the one I am
using, but that is damn slow with flyspell (slower on my macbook pro
than the hand built one on powerbook).

Thanks for any pointer.
Alberto
--
Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
                  Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal

* Re: Emacs for Mac
@ 2008-01-03 21:34 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-03 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: albie; +Cc: emacs

Am 03.01.2008 um 21:43 schrieb Alberto Simões:

> The question is: it is deprecated and no other solution is being
> developed?

I think it will exist. In the meantime you can use Emacs.app, the
Cocoa side of GNU Emacs, at least a bit brighter than Carbon: http://
emacs-app.sourceforge.net/

Updating its code to CVS status of Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 does not
really work, because the code changes in 23.0.60 are quite erratic. I
think when you'll update Emacs.app to some date after November 2007
it won't compile anymore ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
opposite.

* Re: Emacs for Mac
       [not found] <mailman.5671.1199393054.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-01-04 12:58 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-01-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:43:41 +0000 Alberto Simões <albie@alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt> wrote:

AS> For some time that the emacs I use on my Mac is a hand compiled
AS> one. CVS checkout, disable X11, enable Carbon.

AS> Now, I have a new mac, and thus, I need to recompile Emacs. CVS
AS> checked out, configure and... Carbon is deprecated.

AS> The question is: it is deprecated and no other solution is being developed?

The consensus (as I recall, this was a recent discussion with a LOT of
messages) was that after the next release of Emacs the Carbon/Cocoa
issue would be reconsidered, and probably the Cocoa port would be merged
in to replace the Carbon port.  Meanwhile the CVS Carbon port is
deprecated and keyboard input there is broken AFAIK.

AS> And yes, there is aquamacs that sucks because tried to mimic mac-os
AS> specific key bindings, and there is emacs.app, that is the one I am
AS> using, but that is damn slow with flyspell (slower on my macbook pro
AS> than the hand built one on powerbook).

Emacs.App is the Cocoa port that's being considered.  It has a mailing
list and lots of helpful users, so post about your flyspell problem
there and you should get a reply.

Ted

* Re: Emacs for Mac
@ 2008-01-07  3:49   ` Mike Mattie
From: Mike Mattie @ 2008-01-07  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:34:07 +0100
Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 03.01.2008 um 21:43 schrieb Alberto Simões:
>
> > The question is: it is deprecated and no other solution is being
> > developed?
>
> I think it will exist. In the meantime you can use Emacs.app, the
> Cocoa side of GNU Emacs, at least a bit brighter than Carbon: http://
> emacs-app.sourceforge.net/
>
> Updating its code to CVS status of Unicode Emacs 23.0.60 does not
> really work, because the code changes in 23.0.60 are quite erratic.
> I think when you'll update Emacs.app to some date after November
> 2007 it won't compile anymore ...

the macports package worked well for me.

> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact
> opposite.

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs for Mac
@ 2008-01-07  9:43     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-07  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mike Mattie; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2008 um 04:49 schrieb Mike Mattie:

> the macports package worked well for me.

Which package? Emacs.app (rc 1, 2, or 3?) or GNU Emacsen
23.0.50/23.0.60? Do MacPorts have a page that describes all their
packages?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!

[-- Attachment #1.2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Emacs for mac
       [not found] <1208022586.1678603.1612293425045.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2021-02-02 19:17 ` macandal--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: macandal--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-02-02 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I'm running version 11.1, Big Sur. I installed the binary version 27 but my OS won't open it because it needs to be updated but I can't upload that version. From what I've read, I should be able to use the latest version of Emacs with Big Sur, how do I circumvent this problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

* Re: Emacs for mac
@ 2021-02-02 22:49   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-02-02 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm running version 11.1, Big Sur. I installed the binary version 27 but my
> OS won't open it because it needs to be updated

What makes you think so?

* Re: Emacs for mac
@ 2021-02-03  3:23   ` Doug Davis
From: Doug Davis @ 2021-02-03  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: macandal--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Mario A Henríquez

> I'm running version 11.1, Big Sur. I installed the binary version 27
> but my OS won't open it because it needs to be updated but I can't
> upload that version. From what I've read, I should be able to use the
> latest version of Emacs with Big Sur, how do I circumvent this
> problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Where did you get the binary? That information might help folks on the
list diagnose the problem.