all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Merging use-package before Emacs 29, hopefully
@ 2022-11-24 13:19 Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-11-24 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: John Wiegley, Eli Zaretskii, Payas Relekar

Hi Emacs,

I have pushed the current progress on merging use-package to the new
branch scratch/use-package.  I based this on João Távora's and Payas
Relekar's work on merging eglot, but adapted it for use-package.[1]

Here is the script I ended up with:

https://gist.github.com/skangas/0f853d5ae90aba90f18ab27236aaaaa7

This is what remains:

1. I'm still working on the new use-package.texi manual.  It pretty much
   amounts to a rewrite, or close to it.  If Eli and John are fine with
   it, I'm happy to finish up that work after the merge.  Otherwise, I'm
   not sure I can make it in time for the Emacs 29 merge window.  I'll
   try my best in any case, of course, but other commitments destroyed
   most of my time for focused work in the last week.

2. I didn't mark trivial commits with "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes".
   Using the scripts from João and Payas, it will be trivial to add, if
   I can get access to a list of the relevant commits.

   - Do we care strongly about this?
   - If yes, do we have a list of commits that need such marking?  Or,
     equivalently, the authors whose work we don't need assignments for?

3. The mailmap.txt file may or may not need looking over.  For example,
   I'm not sure how important it is that the emails line up with the
   copyright assignments file.  João seems to have spent some time
   ensuring that they do, but I'm not sure if that was out of necessity
   or in the interest of tidiness.  I've attached mailmap.txt below.

These points are minor, I think, but added for completion:

4. Just as with eglot, we should add the merge point to
   admin/git-bisect-start.

5. I added the files README.md as admin/USE-PACKAGE.README and NEWS.md
   as etc/USE-PACKAGE-NEWS.  We might want to just skip these files
   though, as they don't add much.  They are available in the old
   repository if anyone should need to take a look at them.

Footnotes:
[1] Their scripts are still available at:
     https://gist.github.com/joaotavora/2ed97f2ec85958986983d5cb78202770

[-- Attachment #2: mailmap.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4814 bytes --]

Aaron Meurer	<asmeurer@gmail.com>
Adam Spiers	<emacs@adamspiers.org>
Adam Spiers	<emacs@adamspiers.org> <adam@pacific.linksys.moosehall>
Adam Spiers	<emacs@adamspiers.org> <github@adamspiers.org>
Aleksey Kladov	<aleksey.kladov@gmail.com>
Alex Branham	<alex.branham@gmail.com>
Alex Branham	<alex.branham@gmail.com> <branham@utexas.edu>
Alex Kosorukoff	<alex@3form.com>
Alex Kost	<alezost@gmail.com>
Andrew Pennebaker	<andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
Andrew Schwartzmeyer	<andrew@schwartzmeyer.com>
Andrew Stribblehill	<stribb@gmail.com>
Andrew Stribblehill	<stribb@gmail.com> <ads@wompom.org>
Andrey Listopadov	<andreyorst@gmail.com>
Andrés Saraos Luna	<saraoslunaandres@gmail.com>
Artyom Khramov	<futu.fata@gmail.com>
Basil L. Contovounesios	<contovob@tcd.ie>
Berend de Boer	<berend@pobox.com>
Berk D. Demir	<bdd@mindcast.org>
Bernard Hurley	<bernard@marcade.biz>
Bjarte Johansen	<bjarte.johansen@gmail.com>
bradrn	<brad.neimann@hotmail.com>
Brian Burns	<bburns.km@gmail.com>
Carl Lieberman	<dev@carl.ac>
chuchana	<chuchana@gmx.de>
Chunyang Xu	<xuchunyang56@gmail.com>
Codruț Constantin Gușoi	<mail+git@codrut.pro>
conao	<conao3@gmail.com>
Damien Cassou	<damien.cassou@gmail.com>
Damien Cassou	<damien.cassou@gmail.com> <damien@cassou.me>
Damien Merenne	<dam@cosinux.org>
Daniel Martín	<mardani29@yahoo.es>
Daniel Mendler	<mail@daniel-mendler.de>
Daniel Perez Alvarez	<danielpza@protonmail.com>
Daniel Yaren	<yarendaniel@gmail.com>
Dave Abrahams	<dave@boostpro.com>
David Leatherman	<git@david.leatherman.fm>
Deployment Bot (from Travis CI)	<deploy@travis-ci.org>
Donald Curtis	<dcurtis@milkbox.net>
Dror Levin	<spatz@psybear.com>
duianto	<duianto@users.noreply.github.com>
Edward Knyshov	<edvorg@gmail.com>
Fice T	<fice-t@protonmail.com>
François Févotte	<fevotte@gmail.com>
George Hartzell	<hartzell@alerce.com>
Grant Rettke	<grettke@acm.org>
Hugo Heagren	<hugo@heagren.com>
Indradhanush Gupta	<indradhanush.gupta@gmail.com>
Ivan Goncharov	<Ivan.Goncharov@wexinc.co.nz>
Jacob First	<jacob.first@member.fsf.org>
James Reed	<jcrd@tuta.io>
Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong	<wyuenho@gmail.com>
Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong	<wyuenho@gmail.com> <wyuenho@users.noreply.github.com>
Joe Wreschnig	<joe.wreschnig@gmail.com>
Johann Klähn	<johann@jklaehn.de>
John Lee	<jjl@pobox.com>
John Wiegley	<johnw@newartisans.com>
John Wiegley	<johnw@newartisans.com> <jwiegley@gmail.com>
Jonas Bernoulli	<jonas@bernoul.li>
Justin Burkett	<justin@burkett.cc>
Justin Talbott	<justin@waymondo.com>
Kaleb Elwert	<belak@coded.io>
keithmantell	<keithmantell@gmail.com>
killdash9	<killdash9>
Koen van Greevenbroek	<koen@localhost.com>
kovrik	<kovrik0@gmail.com>
Laurence Rochfort	<laurence.rochfort@gmail.com>
Lukas Barth	<mail@tinloaf.de>
Marc Webbie	<marcwebbie@gmail.com>
Martin Geisler	<martin@geisler.net>
Matthew Feinberg	<ketbra@users.noreply.github.com>
Matthew Justin Bauer	<mjbauer95@gmail.com>
Matthias Schmitt	<male.schmitt@posteo.de>
Matus Goljer	<dota.keys@gmail.com>
Mike Appleby	<mike@app.leby.org>
Miks Kalnins	<MiksKalnins@maikumori.com>
Nahuel Greco	<ngreco@gmail.com>
Nguyễn Hà Dương	<cmpitg@gmail.com>
Nick Alcock	<nick.alcock@oracle.com>
Nick McCurdy	<nick@nickmccurdy.com>
Nico Wagner	<nico@cryptopone.org>
Nicolas Dudebout	<nicolas.dudebout@gmail.com>
Nicolas Dudebout	<nicolas.dudebout@gmail.com> <nicolas.dudebout@gatech.edu>
Nicolas Richard	<theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>
Noam Postavsky	<npostavs@users.sourceforge.net>
Payas Relekar	<relekarpayas@gmail.com>
Peter Hoeg	<peter@speartail.com>
Peter Mosmans	<support@go-forward.net>
Phil Hudson	<phil.hudson@iname.com>
Philipp Stephani	<phst@google.com>
Philippe Vaucher	<philippe.vaucher@gmail.com>
Philippe Vaucher	<philippe.vaucher@gmail.com> <philippe@stvs.ch>
Phillip Lord	<phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
Phillip Lord	<phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk>
Radon Rosborough	<radon.neon@gmail.com>
realcomplex	<koenvg@posteo.net>
Rich Murphey	<rich@murphey.org>
robario	<webmaster@robario.com>
Russell Black	<black.russell@gmail.com>
rws	<elisp.vim@gmail.com>
Sacha Chua	<sacha@sachachua.com>
Sasanidas	<fmfs@posteo.net>
Sean Allred	<code@seanallred.com>
Shohei YOSHIDA	<syohex@gmail.com>
Stefan Kangas	<stefankangas@gmail.com>
Steve Purcell	<steve@sanityinc.com>
syl20bnr	<sylvain.benner@gmail.com>
Ted Zlatanov	<tzz@lifelogs.com>
Terencio Agozzino	<terencio.agozzino@gmail.com>
The Gitter Badger	<badger@gitter.im>
Thiago Barroso Perrotta	<thiagoperrotta95@gmail.com>
Thierry Volpiatto	<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com>
Thomas Frössman	<thomasf@jossystem.se>
Thomas Ingram	<taingram@mtu.edu>
Ting-Yu Lin	<aethanyc@gmail.com>
Troy Hinckley	<t.macman@gmail.com>
Valentin Ignatev	<valentjedi@gmail.com>
Vincent Zhang	<seagle0128@gmail.com>
Wang Chunye	<chunywan@xilinx.com>
wouter bolsterlee	<wouter@bolsterl.ee>
Yurii Kholodkov	<urist.mckorobochka@gmail.com>

* Re: Merging use-package before Emacs 29, hopefully
@ 2022-11-24 15:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel, johnw, relekarpayas

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 05:19:25 -0800
> Cc: John Wiegley <johnw@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>
>
> I have pushed the current progress on merging use-package to the new
> branch scratch/use-package.  I based this on João Távora's and Payas
> Relekar's work on merging eglot, but adapted it for use-package.[1]

Thanks for working on this.

> 1. I'm still working on the new use-package.texi manual.  It pretty much
>    amounts to a rewrite, or close to it.  If Eli and John are fine with
>    it, I'm happy to finish up that work after the merge.  Otherwise, I'm
>    not sure I can make it in time for the Emacs 29 merge window.  I'll
>    try my best in any case, of course, but other commitments destroyed
>    most of my time for focused work in the last week.

It's okay to keep working on the manual after the branch point, yes.

> 2. I didn't mark trivial commits with "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes".
>    Using the scripts from João and Payas, it will be trivial to add, if
>    I can get access to a list of the relevant commits.
>
>    - Do we care strongly about this?

Yes, we do.

>    - If yes, do we have a list of commits that need such marking?  Or,
>      equivalently, the authors whose work we don't need assignments for?

I hope John can answer that.  Truth be told, this should have been taken
care of before pushing the scratch branch to the Emacs repository.

> 3. The mailmap.txt file may or may not need looking over.  For example,
>    I'm not sure how important it is that the emails line up with the
>    copyright assignments file.

It is pretty important, so if there are significant discrepancies, we'd need
that incorporated.

> 5. I added the files README.md as admin/USE-PACKAGE.README and NEWS.md
>    as etc/USE-PACKAGE-NEWS.  We might want to just skip these files
>    though, as they don't add much.  They are available in the old
>    repository if anyone should need to take a look at them.

Why do we need the README?  Ideally, it should be incorporated into the
manual, and then discarded.

As for USE-PACKAGE.NEWS, unless we are going to keep updating it, I would
omit it as well.  If you "git rm" it, it will be in Git history if someone
needs it.

Alternatively, leave that file as NEWS.OLD under lisp/use-package/.

* Re: Merging use-package before Emacs 29, hopefully
@ 2022-11-26  9:05   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-11-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, johnw, relekarpayas

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> 2. I didn't mark trivial commits with "Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes".
>>    Using the scripts from João and Payas, it will be trivial to add, if
>>    I can get access to a list of the relevant commits.
>>
>>    - Do we care strongly about this?
>
> Yes, we do.
>
>>    - If yes, do we have a list of commits that need such marking?  Or,
>>      equivalently, the authors whose work we don't need assignments for?
>
> I hope John can answer that.  Truth be told, this should have been taken
> care of before pushing the scratch branch to the Emacs repository.
>
>> 3. The mailmap.txt file may or may not need looking over.  For example,
>>    I'm not sure how important it is that the emails line up with the
>>    copyright assignments file.
>
> It is pretty important, so if there are significant discrepancies, we'd need
> that incorporated.

Thanks, I have emailed you privately about the above.

>> 5. I added the files README.md as admin/USE-PACKAGE.README and NEWS.md
>>    as etc/USE-PACKAGE-NEWS.  We might want to just skip these files
>>    though, as they don't add much.  They are available in the old
>>    repository if anyone should need to take a look at them.
>
> Why do we need the README?  Ideally, it should be incorporated into the
> manual, and then discarded.

Yup, so let's just skip it.  All relevant information from README.md
will be in the texinfo manual.

> As for USE-PACKAGE.NEWS, unless we are going to keep updating it, I would
> omit it as well.  If you "git rm" it, it will be in Git history if someone
> needs it.

Sounds good.

* Re: Merging use-package before Emacs 29, hopefully
@ 2022-11-29 17:43   ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2022-11-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, emacs-devel, relekarpayas

>> - If yes, do we have a list of commits that need such marking? Or,
>> equivalently, the authors whose work we don't need assignments for?

> I hope John can answer that. Truth be told, this should have been taken care
> of before pushing the scratch branch to the Emacs repository.

There has been a lot of work done here, starting since 2015:

  https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/282

It's possible that new commits came in after these copyrights were tracked
down. This issue, over the course of a few years, resulted in many people
submitting forms to the FSF. Given how many contributors there have been, this
may be a continuing task up until the moment of inclusion. From this point
forward, though, I will be extremely conservative about accepting PRs until
they have been signed.