all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Doc-string and default of ps-font-size
@ 2007-08-09 20:25 Christian Schlauer
From: Christian Schlauer @ 2007-08-09 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello!

In the Emacs 22 branch, ps-font-size is documented like this:

,----[ C-h v ps-font-size ]
| ps-font-size is a variable defined in `ps-print.el'.
| Its value is (7 . 8.5)
|
| Documentation:
| *Font size, in points, for ordinary text, when generating PostScript.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

It doesn't explain why there are two values. Clicking on `customize'
does reveal that the first value is for landscape and the second for
portrait mode. Something like that should be added to the doc-string.

But the actual reason why I write is that IMO, the font size should be
the same for both portrait and landscape mode by default. I think the
portrait font size is fine. Like most people (I guess) I usually print
portrait, and when I deliberately decide to print something in
landscape, I expect that it'll look the same, just with longer lines.
I don't expect a smaller font.

Now Emacs is acting too preemptive here and seems to think "whoah,
need to squeeze more on each line because the user requested
landscape". Then user walks to the printer, sees and thinks "D'oh!
Won't be able to read this late at night (or on the bus) because the
font size is smaller than usual."

Regards,

Christian

* Re: Doc-string and default of ps-font-size
@ 2007-08-16 22:37 ` Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-08-16 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cs-usenet; +Cc: emacs-devel

Christian Schlauer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In the Emacs 22 branch, ps-font-size is documented like this:
>
> ,----[ C-h v ps-font-size ]
> | ps-font-size is a variable defined in `ps-print.el'.
> | Its value is (7 . 8.5)
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Font size, in points, for ordinary text, when generating PostScript.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----
>
> It doesn't explain why there are two values. Clicking on `customize'
> does reveal that the first value is for landscape and the second for
> portrait mode. Something like that should be added to the doc-string.
>
> But the actual reason why I write is that IMO, the font size should be
> the same for both portrait and landscape mode by default. I think the
> portrait font size is fine. Like most people (I guess) I usually print
> portrait, and when I deliberately decide to print something in
> landscape, I expect that it'll look the same, just with longer lines.
> I don't expect a smaller font.
>
> Now Emacs is acting too preemptive here and seems to think "whoah,
> need to squeeze more on each line because the user requested
> landscape". Then user walks to the printer, sees and thinks "D'oh!
> Won't be able to read this late at night (or on the bus) because the
> font size is smaller than usual."
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

Sorry for the delay.

Glenn Morris has already fixed the ps-font-size docstring in Emacs 22
branch and trunk.

I've just fixed other ps-*-font-size docstring in Emacs 22 branch, trunk
and Emacs Unicode.

Thanks for your report,

Vinicius

* Re: Doc-string and default of ps-font-size
@ 2007-08-16 23:08   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-08-16 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2007-08-16 23:37 +0100, Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:
> Glenn Morris has already fixed the ps-font-size docstring in Emacs 22
> branch and trunk.
>
> I've just fixed other ps-*-font-size docstring in Emacs 22 branch,
> trunk and Emacs Unicode.

I wonder if the default value of ps-font-size is insane. I printed
something out and it is just too small.

         Gnus is one component of the Emacs operating system.