all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp gdb - source files
@ 2009-02-11 14:49 Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-02-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Group Members

I successfully started remote gdb session and run application remotely.

The only thing my emacs does not do is interact with source files.

Is it some problem with my configuration or emacs/tramp does not do it at all?

best regards,
Michal

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
@ 2009-02-11 19:50 ` Michael Albinus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-02-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> Hallo Group Members

Hi,

> I successfully started remote gdb session and run application remotely.
>
> The only thing my emacs does not do is interact with source files.
>
> Is it some problem with my configuration or emacs/tramp does not do it at all?

It shall work with recent Emacs 23.0.90 / Tramp 2.1.15. Which versions
do you use?

> best regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
@ 2009-02-12  6:04 ` Nick Roberts
       [not found] ` <mailman.507.1234418700.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.467.1234381860.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nick Roberts @ 2009-02-12  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michal writes:
 > Hallo Group Members
 >
 > I successfully started remote gdb session and run application remotely.
 >
 > The only thing my emacs does not do is interact with source files.
 >
 > Is it some problem with my configuration or emacs/tramp does not do it at
 > all?

You don't give any details of your configuration so I can only guess:

Have you compiled with -g?

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
       [not found] ` <mailman.507.1234418700.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-12  8:47   ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2009-02-12  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 12, 3:04 pm, Nick Roberts <nick...@snap.net.nz> wrote:
> Michal writes:
>
>  > Hallo Group Members
>  >
>  > I successfully started remote gdb session and run application remotely.
>  >
>  > The only thing my emacs does not do is interact with source files.
>  >
>  > Is it some problem with my configuration or emacs/tramp does not do it at
>  > all?
>
> You don't give any details of your configuration so I can only guess:
>
> Have you compiled with -g?
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

And also check the option for optimization; try not to use any -O
option :)

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
       [not found] ` <mailman.507.1234418700.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-12  8:58   ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-02-12  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Nick

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

> You don't give any details of your configuration so I can only guess:

Yes, You are right. I will add all the details and some more
investigation to reply mail to Michael Albinus below

> Have you compiled with -g?

I compiled it with -g.

best regards

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
@ 2009-02-12  8:59     ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-02-12  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Kiwon.

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:

> And also check the option for optimization; try not to use any -O
> option :)

I didn't use -O option at compilation.

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
       [not found] ` <mailman.467.1234381860.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-12  9:09   ` Michal
       [not found]     ` <mailman.534.1234434421.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michal @ 2009-02-12  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hallo Michael, hallo group members

> It shall work with recent Emacs 23.0.90 / Tramp 2.1.15. Which versions
> do you use?

My emacs is:
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2008-05-23 on xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com

tramp version is:
2.1.15

remote machine runs just compiled gdb 6.8.

just for experiment I did loopback to my local machine:

/scp:localhost:/tmp/p2.cpp

and in here everything works fine

then I also tried on another remote machine which runs
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.5-25.el5_1.1rh)

but here again no success

best regards,
Michal

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
@ 2009-02-12 10:29     ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]     ` <mailman.534.1234434421.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-02-12 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal; +Cc: Emacs Help [help-gnu-emacs]

Michal <rabbit50@tenbit.pl> writes:

> hallo Michael, hallo group members

Hi,

>> It shall work with recent Emacs 23.0.90 / Tramp 2.1.15. Which versions
>> do you use?
>
> My emacs is:
> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2008-05-23 on xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
>
> tramp version is:
> 2.1.15

I fear Emacs 22 is not well prepared to run remote processes, as
needed for gdb. The major change was in comint.el, where
`start-file-process' is used now instead of `start-process'.

> just for experiment I did loopback to my local machine:
>
> /scp:localhost:/tmp/p2.cpp
>
> and in here everything works fine

Your local gdb would be called. And the files are also found, because
they reside locally.

> best regards,
> Michal

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp gdb - source files
       [not found]     ` <mailman.534.1234434421.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-02-12 15:24       ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2009-02-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Your local gdb would be called. And the files are also found, because
> they reside locally.

Michael,
thank You for the answer

I will try with emacs 23 as You suggest