all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff-merge ancestor refinement
@ 2011-07-14 20:09 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When I'm doing an ediff-merge, it shows refinement regions of A
with-respect-to B.  But what I'm *really* interested in, when I have a
conflict, is to see the difference between each of the final buffers and
their ancestor.  For example, I had to resolve this merge conflict today:

<<<<<<< variant A
    if (ActiveBlocks.size() > AddedTo) {
      ArrayRef<unsigned> Add(&ActiveBlocks[AddedTo],
                             ActiveBlocks.size() - AddedTo);
      addThroughConstraints(Intf, Add);
    if (ActiveBlocks.size() == AddedTo)
      break;
    addThroughConstraints(Cand.Intf,
                          ArrayRef<unsigned>(ActiveBlocks).slice(AddedTo));
####### Ancestor
    if (ActiveBlocks.size() == AddedTo)
      break;
    addThroughConstraints(Intf,
                          ArrayRef<unsigned>(ActiveBlocks).slice(AddedTo));
======= end

If you look really carefully, you can see that variant B added "Cand."
in the 3rd line.  But it was really hard for me to see that.  Once I did
see it, the merge was trivial.  Wouldn't it be possible to highlight
diffs in A and B with-respect-to the Ancestor buffer?

Hmm, I see we have a face for something like that:

,----

| Documentation:
| Face for highlighting the refinement of the selected diff in the ancestor buffer.
| At present, this face is not used and no fine differences are computed for the
| ancestor buffer.
`----

Is this especially hard to code or something?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: ediff-merge ancestor refinement
@ 2011-07-17  9:03 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-17  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.07.2011 22:09, schrieb Dave Abrahams:

> Hi,
>
> When I'm doing an ediff-merge, it shows refinement regions of A
> with-respect-to B.  But what I'm *really* interested in, when I have a
> conflict, is to see the difference between each of the final buffers and
> their ancestor.  For example, I had to resolve this merge conflict today:
>
> <<<<<<<  variant A
>      if (ActiveBlocks.size()>  AddedTo) {
>        ArrayRef<unsigned>  Add(&ActiveBlocks[AddedTo],
>                               ActiveBlocks.size() - AddedTo);
>        addThroughConstraints(Intf, Add);
>      if (ActiveBlocks.size() == AddedTo)
>        break;
>      addThroughConstraints(Cand.Intf,
>                            ArrayRef<unsigned>(ActiveBlocks).slice(AddedTo));
> ####### Ancestor
>      if (ActiveBlocks.size() == AddedTo)
>        break;
>      addThroughConstraints(Intf,
>                            ArrayRef<unsigned>(ActiveBlocks).slice(AddedTo));
> ======= end
>
> If you look really carefully, you can see that variant B added "Cand."
> in the 3rd line.  But it was really hard for me to see that.  Once I did
> see it, the merge was trivial.  Wouldn't it be possible to highlight
> diffs in A and B with-respect-to the Ancestor buffer?
>
> Hmm, I see we have a face for something like that:
>
> ,----
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Face for highlighting the refinement of the selected diff in the ancestor buffer.
> | At present, this face is not used and no fine differences are computed for the
> | ancestor buffer.
> `----
>
> Is this especially hard to code or something?

Hi,

reads like a useful request for me. But wrong list. Either a bug report
or sending it to emacs-devel seems TRT.

Thanks,

Andreas