all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 1L fanless computing unit for GNU/Emacs
@ 2019-03-21  2:59 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-03-21  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> so you stick it in and never touch it again.  And
> the rest can be put on a SATA-connected disk.  It
> also comes with a (rudimentary) enclosure.  and
> since these thingies are fanless, they don't
> suffer much from (nor accumulate much) dust.

A corner of the 'net focuses on the market for
fanless [1].  The nuc8i5bek2 [2] doesn't show on
ebay or amazon where I try.

Having a tastefully done 1L fanless unit you buy
from the FSF store with a chip menu that includes
but is not limited to risc-v architecture from hifive on netbsd,
and a service to gutout and update an existing
chassis could be a revenue raiser for funding the cause of Free Sourceware Freedom(!!!)

[1] http://www.fanlesstech.com/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_nuc

* Re: 1L fanless computing unit for GNU/Emacs
@ 2019-03-21 15:06 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-03-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Van L wrote:

> Having a tastefully done 1L fanless unit you
> buy from the FSF store with a chip menu that
> includes but is not limited to risc-v
> architecture from hifive on netbsd, and
> a service to gutout and update an existing
> chassis could be a revenue raiser for funding
> the cause of Free Sourceware Freedom(!!!)

Good idea! DIY Van L :)

BTW what part of a computer is it that
generates the most heat? If one had a
100L computer with the corresponding
computer power, where would one point the fan?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: 1L fanless computing unit for GNU/Emacs
@ 2019-03-21 22:50   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-03-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg writes:

> Van L wrote:
>
>> Having a tastefully done 1L fanless unit you
>> buy from the FSF store with a chip menu that
>> includes but is not limited to risc-v
>> architecture from hifive on netbsd, and
>> a service to gutout and update an existing
>> chassis could be a revenue raiser for funding
>> the cause of Free Sourceware Freedom(!!!)
>
> Good idea! DIY Van L :)

Can I buy one from you? :)

> BTW what part of a computer is it that
> generates the most heat? If one had a
> 100L computer with the corresponding
> computer power, where would one point the fan?

My guess is the CPU, storage and power supply.

I'd hollow out the trashcan Mac and arrange them
in a cube and blast coolant through them from
floor to ceiling or the reverse direction if that
is the natural direction for the coolant to go.