all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Andrew Hyatt <ahyatt@gmail.com>
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
Cc: Sergey Kostyaev <sskostyaev@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: LLM Experiments, Part 1: Corrections
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:52:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On 22 January 2024 14:06, "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> wrote:

    Some more related thoughts below, mostly thinking aloud: 1.
    From using gptel and ellama against the same model, I see
    different
       style responses, and that kind of inconsistency would be
       good to get a handle on; LLMs are difficult enough to
       figure out re what they're doing without this additional
       variation.

Is this keeping the prompt and temperature constant?  There's
inconsistency, though, even keeping everything constant due to the
randomness of the LLM.  I often get very different results, for
example, to make the demo I shared, I had to run it like 5 times
because it would either do things too well (no need to demo
corrections), or not well enough (for example, it wouldn't follow
my orders to put everything in one paragraph).

    2. Package LLM has the laudible goal of bridgeing between
    models and
       front-ends, and this is going to be vital.
    3. (1,2) above lead  to the following question: 4. Can we
    write down  a list of common configuration vars --- here
      common across the model axis. Make  it a union of all such
      params.

I think the list of common model-and-prompt configuration should
already be already in the llm package already, but we probably
will need to keep expanding this.

    5. Next, write down a list of all configurable params on the
    UI side.

This will change quite a bit depending on the task. It's unclear
how much should be configurable - for example, in the demo, I have
ediff so the user can see and evaluate the diff. But maybe that
should be configurable, so if the user wants to see just a diff
output instead, perhaps that should be allowed? When I was
thinking about a state machine, I was thinking that parts of the
state machine might be overridable by the user, such as a "have
the user check the results of the operation" is a state in the
state machine that the user can just define their own function
for.  I suspect we'll have a better idea of this after a few more
demos.

    6. When stable, define a single data-structure in elisp that
    acts as
       the bridge between the front-end emacs UI and the LLM
       module.

If I understand you correctly, this would be the configuration you
listed in your point (4) and (5)?

    7. Finally factor out  the settings of that structure and make
    it
       possible to create "profiles" so that one can predictably
       experiment across front-ends and models.

I like this idea, thanks!