all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [h-e-w] optimal directory structure?
       [not found] ` <m2ptz8fbgy.fsf@nyaumo.btinternet.com>
@ 2002-06-05 13:56   ` Dr Francis J. Wright
From: Dr Francis J. Wright @ 2002-06-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, bug-gnu-emacs

I remember some discussion about this some time ago, and I probably said at
that time that I would find this useful.  However, if I start emacs with no
init file then I find that several environment variables are set, such as
EMACSLOADPATH, but not EMACSDIR, although emacs_dir is set.  Perhaps as a
consequence, neither EMACSLOADPATH not load-path includes
emacs_dir/../site-lisp.

I have not explicitly set any emacs-related environment variables, and I do
not run addpm, since it no longer seems to be necessary.  But would addpm
set EMACSDIR?

It seems to me that the code that sets EMACSLOADPATH etc. should also set
EMACSDIR, or the code that sets load-path should check emacs_dir as well as
(or instead of) EMACSDIR.

The above comments relate to

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt4.0.1381) of 2002-03-19 on buffy

Francis

From: Jason Rumney @ 2002-06-05 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, bug-gnu-emacs

"Dr Francis J. Wright" <F.J.Wright@qmul.ac.uk> writes:

> I remember some discussion about this some time ago, and I probably said at
> that time that I would find this useful.  However, if I start emacs with no
> init file then I find that several environment variables are set, such as
> EMACSLOADPATH, but not EMACSDIR, although emacs_dir is set.  Perhaps as a
> consequence, neither EMACSLOADPATH not load-path includes
> emacs_dir/../site-lisp.

It should.  Perhaps you have EMACSLOADPATH set explicitly (from a
previous version of addpm, which did not include the site-lisp dirs?),
so it is not overridden by Emacs' startup code.

> I have not explicitly set any emacs-related environment variables, and I do
> not run addpm, since it no longer seems to be necessary.  But would addpm
> set EMACSDIR?

No.  I meant emacs_dir, sorry about the confusion. EMACSLOADPATH
should be initialized from that (see w32.c) when Emacs starts up.