all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* More colors on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-08 19:32 Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2002-12-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using Mac OS 10.2.2 and the Emacs that came with it (21.1) in tcsh
in the Terminal application. I'm attempting to use syntax coloring,
with limited success.

I have this:

(global-font-lock-mode t)
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
(set-background-color "Black")
(set-foreground-color "White")
(set-cursor-color "White")
(custom-set-faces
'(font-lock-comment-face ((((class color) (background dark))
(:foreground "yellow"))))

in my .emacs file, and I've set my TERM environment variable to
"xterm-color". Now I'm getting color, but the only colors available
seem to be Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, and White. A
call to list-colors-display confirms this. Does anyone have any advice
on how to get more colors (without switching to XEmacs)?

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: More colors on Mac OS X
@ 2002-12-09  5:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-12-09  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Matthew Calhoun wrote:

> in my .emacs file, and I've set my TERM environment variable to
> "xterm-color". Now I'm getting color, but the only colors available
> seem to be Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, and White. A
> call to list-colors-display confirms this. Does anyone have any advice
> on how to get more colors (without switching to XEmacs)?

How many more colors do you want to have, and what are they?

How many colors does a Mac terminal support, anyway?

In general, there are *.el files under lisp/term/ which have support
specific to each type of terminal known to Emacs.  If the Mac terminal is
similar to one of them, use it.  If it is sufficiently different from all
of them, you could create a new file with Mac-specific support (in this
case, please submit the results to the Emacs maintainers for inclusion in
a future release).

* Re: More colors on Mac OS X
       [not found] <mailman.9.1039375989.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-10 23:41 ` Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2002-12-10 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

> Does anyone have any advice on how to get more colors (without
> switching to XEmacs)?

Yeah... compile GNU EMACS for OSX by following the directions found
on Andrew Choi's "Emacs 21 for Mac OS X" home page:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/

Then download color-theme.el from somewhere and install it.  After
that, "M-x color-theme-select" to find a prefab color theme with faces
you like.  Get a long ways ahead in a short time.

--
Edward Dodge

/GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/