all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-05  3:15 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2010-10-05  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
Mozilla, Galeon. And reference to some browsers could be updated since
they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
Amaya.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-05  7:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-10-05  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>
> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800
>
> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
> Mozilla, Galeon.

Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
to remove them?

> And reference to some browsers could be updated since
> they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
> Amaya.

Patches are welcome.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-05  7:26   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2010-10-05  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

*On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 03:11:31 -0400
* Also sprach Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:

>> From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800
>>
>> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
>> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
>> Mozilla, Galeon.
>
> Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
> to remove them?
>
>> And reference to some browsers could be updated since
>> they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
>> Amaya.
>
> Patches are welcome.

Not a problem to me. I found dev team is removing some obsolete codes so
I ask if these are proper candidates for removal.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-05 12:09 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-10-05 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

2010/10/5 CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>:
> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
> Mozilla, Galeon. And reference to some browsers could be updated since
> they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
> Amaya.

Just a few days ago I talked to someone who used Mosaic. According to
Wikipedia, Galeon was discontinued in 2007 and Netscape Navigator in
2008. The Mozilla browser was succeeded by SeaMonkey in 2006. This is
hardly old, especially in the world of Emacs users.

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-06  5:20 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-10-06  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CHENG Gao; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
    since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
    Mozilla, Galeon. And reference to some browsers could be updated since
    they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
    Amaya.

Another thing we could do is delete support for any nonfree browsers
that are not very well known.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-07 22:56   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-10-07 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
>     since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
>     Mozilla, Galeon. And reference to some browsers could be updated since
>     they are superceded by other projects - Chimera by Camino and Arena by
>     Amaya.
>
> Another thing we could do is delete support for any nonfree browsers
> that are not very well known.

BTW, there is a lot of repetition in browse-url.el (DRY many functions
are nearly the same).

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-08 17:41     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-10-08 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> BTW, there is a lot of repetition in browse-url.el (DRY many functions
> are nearly the same).

There is an etc/TODO item to improve, if you are interested.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-10-09  0:34       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-10-09  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> BTW, there is a lot of repetition in browse-url.el (DRY many functions
>> are nearly the same).
>
> There is an etc/TODO item to improve, if you are interested.
Not the time actually, but why not this winter if somebody didn't do it
before.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-11-10  0:42   ` Andrew W. Nosenko
From: Andrew W. Nosenko @ 2010-11-10  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: CHENG Gao, emacs-devel

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@cyberhut.org>
>> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800
>>
>> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
>> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
>> Mozilla, Galeon.
>
> Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
> to remove them?

While I see no problems in a half screen page full of Mosaic-related
tuning (despiete of clutter of space and confusion of non so age-old
user, which may be born after gopher become defunct), I _personally_
see a problem in total absence of the more widespread browsers like
Chrome/Chromium or Safari.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew.w.nosenko@gmail.com>

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-11-10  7:26     ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-11-10  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew W. Nosenko; +Cc: CHENG Gao, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

2010-11-10 01:42, Andrew W. Nosenko skrev:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11, Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  wrote:
>>> From: CHENG Gao<chenggao@cyberhut.org>
>>> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:15:10 +0800
>>>
>>> I am wondering if some browsers should be removed from browse-url.el
>>> since they are ceased projects for many years. Such as Mosaic, Netscape,
>>> Mozilla, Galeon.
>>
>> Why is it a problem that these are still supported?  What's the urge
>> to remove them?
>
> While I see no problems in a half screen page full of Mosaic-related
> tuning (despiete of clutter of space and confusion of non so age-old
> user, which may be born after gopher become defunct), I _personally_
> see a problem in total absence of the more widespread browsers like
> Chrome/Chromium or Safari.

The default for OSX is to use the system default browser, so that will be
Safari if it is the default.  On systems that have xdg-open (most GNU/Linux
versions nowdays), the default browser is also used.  If that is Chrome, it
will be opened.

IMHO, the way to go is to use the system default, not add more browsers.

	Jan D.

* Re: Deprecated browsers in browse-url.el
@ 2010-11-10  8:07       ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2010-11-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

*On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:26:58 +0100
* Also sprach Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>:

>>> Why is it a problem that these are still supported? What's the urge
>>> to remove them?
>>
>> While I see no problems in a half screen page full of Mosaic-related
>> tuning (despiete of clutter of space and confusion of non so age-old
>> user, which may be born after gopher become defunct), I _personally_
>> see a problem in total absence of the more widespread browsers like
>> Chrome/Chromium or Safari.
>>

> The default for OSX is to use the system default browser, so that will
> be Safari if it is the default. On systems that have xdg-open (most
> GNU/Linux versions nowdays), the default browser is also used.  If
> that is Chrome, it will be opened.
>
> IMHO, the way to go is to use the system default, not add more
> browsers.
>
> 	Jan D.

I agree. Users can customize default browser. Seems many codes can be
removed from the file.