all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot go down in dired when the file name is tool long
@ 2013-09-13  8:07 Alan Schmitt
       [not found] ` <mailman.2081.1379090869.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-09-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have a strange problem with dired: if the window used is not wide
enough, some file names may be longer than the width so they continue on
the next line. Unfortunately in that case I cannot use the keyboard to
go to the next file. More precisely, if I have the cursor on the file
name before the line break, then hitting 'n' puts the cursor at the
beginning of the file name on the same line. If I move the cursor to the
right enough so that it goes to the part of the file name that is on the
next line, then hitting 'n' correctly takes me to the next file.

If I turn on `visual-line-mode` (which is ugly for dired) or
truncate-lines (which is better), then things work as expected.

Is there a way to have the usual wrapping and still be able to navigate
the file? Could this be an interaction with another mode?

Thanks,

Alan

* RE: Cannot go down in dired when the file name is tool long
@ 2013-09-13 16:47 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.2081.1379090869.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-09-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt, help-gnu-emacs

> I have a strange problem with dired: if the window used is not wide
> enough, some file names may be longer than the width so they continue on
> the next line. Unfortunately in that case I cannot use the keyboard to
> go to the next file. More precisely, if I have the cursor on the file
> name before the line break, then hitting 'n' puts the cursor at the
> beginning of the file name on the same line. If I move the cursor to the
> right enough so that it goes to the part of the file name that is on the
> next line, then hitting 'n' correctly takes me to the next file.
>
> If I turn on `visual-line-mode` (which is ugly for dired) or
> truncate-lines (which is better), then things work as expected.
>
> Is there a way to have the usual wrapping and still be able to navigate
> the file? Could this be an interaction with another mode?

I don't see what you describe at all.  Do you see this when starting
with `emacs -Q'?  For me, that has `visual-line-mode' turned off, and
`n' acts normally in Dired.

If you see that problem with `emacs -Q', then consider reporting a bug:
`M-x report-emacs-bug'.  If not, try bisecting your init file (~/.emacs)
recursively until you find the part that introduces the problem.

@ 2013-09-16  7:21   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-09-16  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I don't see what you describe at all.  Do you see this when starting
> with `emacs -Q'?  For me, that has `visual-line-mode' turned off, and
> `n' acts normally in Dired.
>
> If you see that problem with `emacs -Q', then consider reporting a bug:
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  If not, try bisecting your init file (~/.emacs)
> recursively until you find the part that introduces the problem.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't see the problem with emacs -Q, so
I'll have to investigate what in my .emacs creates the problem.

Thanks again,

Alan