Hello Drew, On 2015-11-29 20:19, Drew Adams writes: >> I recently read a message where, if I read it correctly, it was >> recommended to use `customize-set-variable' and `customize-set-value' >> to change settings in an init file while playing nice with the >> custom system. I looked at their documentation and I have trouble >> understanding how they differ. I see there is also >> `custom-set-variables' which has a different signature. >> >> So my question is: should I use `setq', `customize-set-variable', >> `customize-set-value', or `custom-set-variables' to change in my >> init file variables that exist in the custom ecosystem? > > Good question! Here is my understanding, which might not be > 100% correct: Thank you for the explanation. For the moment I'm sticking with `customize-set-variable' and I'll see if I get in trouble. > I agree that the doc is not very clear. Recently I forgot > that `customize-set-value' does not use the defcustom's :set > function, and I was bitten by the fact that it does not. I'm curious about this: what is the scenario where this can be a problem? Thanks, Alan -- OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7 Athmospheric CO₂ (Updated November 22, 2015, Mauna Loa Obs.): 400.35 ppm