all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Meta key for Emacs running on Mac terminal
@ 2016-09-05  0:24 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2016-09-05  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of
2015-04-11 on builder10-9.porkrind.org

OSX El Capitan
10.11.6

I am trying to run emacs on terminal, like

/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw

Emacs itself works.  But the right Command key is not recognized as a meta
key, unlike running Emacs.app.

There seems a way to map the option key as a meta key, but I prefer the
right command key would become the meta key.

Is there anyway to achieve it?

Thanks

* Re: Meta key for Emacs running on Mac terminal
@ 2016-09-06 11:56 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2016-09-06 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 05/09/2016 09:24 +0900, ishi soichi wrote:

> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of
> 2015-04-11 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
>
> OSX El Capitan
> 10.11.6
>
> I am trying to run emacs on terminal, like
>
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw
>
> Emacs itself works.  But the right Command key is not recognized as a meta
> key, unlike running Emacs.app.
>
> There seems a way to map the option key as a meta key, but I prefer the
> right command key would become the meta key.
>
> Is there anyway to achieve it?
>
> Thanks

Did you check System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Modifier keys?  How is
your Command key mapped?

I use emacs in standard MacOS terminal, modifiers remapped a bit via
aforementioned settings window and it works.

Maybe you have other things set up which get into your way?

Filipp

* Re: Meta key for Emacs running on Mac terminal
@ 2016-09-07  1:56   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2016-09-07  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

In System Preferences, Command Key is mapped to Command, which is default.

Do you mean command keys should work as meta keys for terminal emacs by
default?

Esc key works as meta key, though.

@ 2016-09-07 13:17   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2016-09-07 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin, ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Try escape then hit x then type list-packages then hit enter and see if
something other than the error dialog comes up.