all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Quality of PDF display in Doc-View
@ 2017-07-19  1:37 Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2017-07-19  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.

I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View
@ 2017-07-19  3:11 ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-07-19  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-07-19 01:37, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>
> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

If you want to view PDF in Emacs, I strongly recommend pdf-tools.

It uses libpoppler to rander your PDF document and provides sufficient
functionality to view and manipulate PDF files, including zooming,
adding marks, annotations etc.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Install it from MELPA and start your unimaginative journey!

Hope that helps.

Danny

* Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View
@ 2017-07-19  4:20   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-07-19  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-07-19, at 05:11, Danny YUE <sheepduke@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2017-07-19 01:37, Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:
>> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
>> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>>
>> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
>> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>>
>> BR,
>> Robert Thorpe
>
> If you want to view PDF in Emacs, I strongly recommend pdf-tools.

+1

> It uses libpoppler to rander your PDF document and provides sufficient
> functionality to view and manipulate PDF files, including zooming,
> adding marks, annotations etc.

Also, incremental search in pdfs.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Quality of PDF display in Doc-View
@ 2017-07-19 16:56 ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2017-07-19 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Recently the quality of display of PDF in doc-view has gotten worse.  I
> haven't changed Emacs, so it can't be a problem with Emacs.
>
> I expect that something on the Ghostscript side has changed.  Has
> anyone heard anything about a regression in Ghostscript?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

You may get better results by setting:

(setq doc-view-resolution 600)

in your initialization file and restarting emacs.

This increases the resolution of the rasterized version of the PDF, and
may help with reading e.g. math.

Best regards,
Eric