all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: where's .emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.559.1040669575.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-23 19:23 ` Bruce Ingalls
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2002-12-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >Luca Ferrari:
> I'm using Emacs also under windows XP, but I can't find the .emacs start-up
> file. I've tried to create it into the home directory (%HOMEPATH%) and into
Your .emacs or _emacs file goes into your %HOME% (not HOMEPATH)
directory. If this does not exist, then w32 uses C:\

You must create your .emacs yourself. I just announced EMacro
<url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > on gnu.emacs.sources, it is one of several
which you can choose from, at <url: http://www.dotemacs.de/ >

If you like EMacro, I can always use an Italian translation of the
Install Documentation or Install Script. ;)

-Bruce

@ 2002-12-23 19:24 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2002-12-23 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-12-23 19:26 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2002-12-23 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >Luca Ferrari:
 > I'm using Emacs also under windows XP, but I can't find the .emacs
start-up
 > file. I've tried to create it into the home directory (%HOMEPATH%)
and into
Your .emacs or _emacs file goes into your %HOME% (not HOMEPATH)
directory. If this does not exist, then w32 uses C:\

You must create your .emacs yourself. I just announced EMacro
<url: http://emacro.sf.net/ > on gnu.emacs.sources, it is one of several
which you can choose from, at <url: http://www.dotemacs.de/ >

If you like EMacro, I can always use an Italian translation of the
Install Documentation or Install Script. ;)

-Bruce

* Apology for multiple posts due to Mozilla bug
@ 2002-12-23 19:35   ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2002-12-23 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should have used gnus.
Mozilla complained about my spam blocked return address, and implied
that the post did not go thru.

Back on topic:
Has anyone tried to write keybinding themes for EMacs, so that I could
just go to Customize, and choose

o Native
o CUA
o vi
o Gnome
etc.

Is this even feasible?

* Key themes (was Re: Apology for multiple posts due to Mozilla bug)
@ 2002-12-23 22:30     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2002-12-23 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone tried to write keybinding themes for EMacs, so that I could
> just go to Customize, and choose

> o Native
> o CUA
> o vi
> o Gnome
> etc.

> Is this even feasible?

Wouldn't it be a matter of writing a function for each that does a
series of define-key (or global-set-key) statements and then putting
the appropriate function into a hook (like after-init-hook)?

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.

* Re: where's .emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.559.1040669575.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-23 22:45 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> Hi to everyone,
> I'm using Emacs also under windows XP, but I can't find the .emacs start-up
> file. I've tried to create it into the home directory (%HOMEPATH%) and into
> the bin directory of Emacs, but it doesn't works.
> Any idea?

Do

C-x C-f ~/.emacs
and see where this takes you.

* Re: Key themes
@ 2002-12-23 23:59       ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2002-12-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Masterson wrote:
> Bruce Ingalls writes:
>>Has anyone tried to write keybinding themes for EMacs, so that I could
>>just go to Customize, and choose
>
>>o Native
>>o CUA  ...
>>etc.
>
>>Is this even feasible?
>
> Wouldn't it be a matter of writing a function for each that does a
> series of define-key (or global-set-key) statements and then putting
> the appropriate function into a hook (like after-init-hook)?

Hm. I think that you answered that it is *possible*.

I was looking for a bigger picture, that there may be several
suboptimally underengineered libraries with hard-coded keybindings, that
would clash or suffer, as a result.

Example: The Microsoft extensions to CUA tend to use C-s to save.
This is bound to search, which should be remapped to C-f
C-f is bound to forward, but [right] (arrow) is good enough.

I now go ahead, and make all these remappings. So far, so good.
What about third party libraries that add fancy extra functionality to
Search?
Further example: tiny-tools has tiny-search. Will this, and others be
losing, if C-s no longer does search?

Frankly, Emacs is no longer ugly. It is no longer difficult. Its
slowness has mostly been cured by fast hardware.
I believe that the only resistance to beginners are its obscure keybindings.
The other issue is that most beginners won't bother to learn elisp; that
is not a problem, until they desire to add new libraries.
The Emacs community seems to have little interest in building an
Eclipse-style plugin architecture any time soon.

At least, we can make the keybindings easy to use, for now.

* Re: Key themes
@ 2002-12-24  6:32         ` Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 2002-12-24  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

    bi> [...]  The Emacs community seems to have little interest in
    bi> building an Eclipse-style plugin architecture any time soon.

I though Eclipse[1] was a Emacs clone.

-----
[1]We are talking about that IBM IDE thingy, right?

* Re: Key themes (was Re: Apology for multiple posts due to Mozilla bug)
@ 2002-12-24  8:12       ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2002-12-24  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Masterson <dmaster@synopsys.com> wrote:

> > Has anyone tried to write keybinding themes for EMacs, so that I could
> > just go to Customize, and choose
>
> > o Native
> > o CUA
> > o vi
> > o Gnome
> > etc.

Or French keyboard, German keyboard ? Have you ever tried to do a M-~
on a French keyboard ? A challenge to finger flexibility ! Fortunately
we have (under X)

            setxkbmap -symbols "us(pc105)+pc104(compose)"

--
Matthias

* Re: Key themes
@ 2002-12-26 18:27         ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2002-12-26 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was looking for a bigger picture, that there may be several
> suboptimally underengineered libraries with hard-coded keybindings,
> that would clash or suffer, as a result.

Uh, oh.  Sounds like you're talking about changing the underlying
mechanisms for define-key and global-set-key so that they pay
attention to key-themes.  When global-set-key is told to set (say)
"<ctrl>c" to something, it would first go (say) a key-themes-list to
lookup what key is acting as ^C at the moment and actually change the
setting for that key.