all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* definitive way of getting cvs emacs into Ubuntu edgy?
@ 2007-02-06  7:41 Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-06  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Has anyone here recently build emacs from cvs and installed it on Ubuntu
edgy with it still working with existing debian/ubuntu packages such as
w3m, planner etc which are installed from synaptic?

I have found a few conflicting "howto"s and would be interested to hear
from those who have successfully done this.

(reason is that edgy emacs-snapshot is OLD)

Or, how do I pull in the debian unstable snapshot from 28-12007?

* Re: definitive way of getting cvs emacs into Ubuntu edgy?
@ 2007-02-08 23:21 ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-02-08 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:
> Has anyone here recently build emacs from cvs and installed it on Ubuntu
> edgy with it still working with existing debian/ubuntu packages such as
> w3m, planner etc which are installed from synaptic?
>
> I have found a few conflicting "howto"s and would be interested to hear
> from those who have successfully done this.
>
> (reason is that edgy emacs-snapshot is OLD)
>
> Or, how do I pull in the debian unstable snapshot from 28-12007?

You could try just using debian repositories.  However, the binary might
not work, so you'd probably have to try source.

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: definitive way of getting cvs emacs into Ubuntu edgy?
@ 2007-02-09 16:15 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-02-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

*On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:41:50 +0100
* Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> Has anyone here recently build emacs from cvs and installed it on Ubuntu
> edgy with it still working with existing debian/ubuntu packages such as
> w3m, planner etc which are installed from synaptic?
>
> I have found a few conflicting "howto"s and would be interested to hear
> from those who have successfully done this.
>
> (reason is that edgy emacs-snapshot is OLD)
>
> Or, how do I pull in the debian unstable snapshot from 28-12007?

I used Emacs 23 (unicode branch) on Ubuntu (from Dapper to Edgy and then
to Feisty) for some time. Just I never use synaptic/apt-get/aptitude to
install any Emacs package. I dont want package manager to decide where
to put these files, and put many conf files here and there, and another
reason is I frequently upgrade Emacs, Gnus etc from cvs source.

Dont count on Ubuntu package. Even on Feisty, Emacs 22 has 20060915 cvs
source (same as edgy). And it may take several years to see Emacs 23 in
package tree. I can not wait.