all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* csv-kill-fields broken in text mode
@ 2018-07-14  5:30 Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2018-07-14  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

I just discovered a surprising interaction: csv-kill-fields and csv-kill-
multiple-columns break if the buffer is in text mode and a (quoted) field
contains a comma.

For example, take the line
"1,2","3"
and interactively delete the first field with csv-kill-fields.

If the buffer is in csv or fundamental mode, the result is, as expected
"3"

If the buffer is in text mode, the result is
2","3"

I have not tested other functions in csv-mode.el for similar breakage.

Is there a better place to report this?  Maybe the only change should be to
document the mode requirement.  The only reason I'm in text mode is that I
am pasting csv data into an existing text file for reformat to fixed
columns.

* bug#32172: csv-kill-fields broken in text mode
@ 2018-07-16 12:58 ` Filipp Gunbin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3663.1531754953.1292.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2018-07-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Babcock; +Cc: 32172

On 14/07/2018 05:30 +0000, Bob Babcock wrote:

> I just discovered a surprising interaction: csv-kill-fields and csv-kill-
> multiple-columns break if the buffer is in text mode and a (quoted) field
> contains a comma.
>
> For example, take the line
> "1,2","3"
> and interactively delete the first field with csv-kill-fields.
>
> If the buffer is in csv or fundamental mode, the result is, as expected
> "3"
>
> If the buffer is in text mode, the result is
> 2","3"
>
> I have not tested other functions in csv-mode.el for similar breakage.
>
> Is there a better place to report this?  Maybe the only change should be to
> document the mode requirement.  The only reason I'm in text mode is that I
> am pasting csv data into an existing text file for reformat to fixed
> columns.

These commands are not standard commands, but csv-mode specific
commands, so they work only in csv-mode.

* bug#32172: csv-kill-fields broken in text mode
@ 2018-07-16 15:28   ` Filipp Gunbin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3663.1531754953.1292.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2018-07-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Babcock; +Cc: 32172

tags 32172 notabug
close 32172
quit

@ 2018-07-16 22:14     ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2018-07-16 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Filipp Gunbin; +Cc: Bob Babcock, 32172

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> tags 32172 notabug
> close 32172
> quit

You have to send this text to control@debbugs.gnu.org to have effect.
If sending to others, you should use Bcc to prevent further replies from
going there accidentally (which is why you don't see this address when
other people do it).

>> On 14/07/2018 05:30 +0000, Bob Babcock wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a better place to report this?

It's the right list, but it looks like you sent the bug via the
newsgroup, which prevents the tracker from registering it properly
(Filipp's reply did get it registered as a bug).

* bug#32172: csv-kill-fields broken in text mode
@ 2018-07-17  1:50       ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2018-07-17  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: 32172

tags 32172 notabug
close 32172
quit

On 16/07/2018 18:14 -0400, Noam Postavsky wrote:

> Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> tags 32172 notabug
>> close 32172
>> quit
>
> You have to send this text to control@debbugs.gnu.org to have effect.
> If sending to others, you should use Bcc to prevent further replies from
> going there accidentally (which is why you don't see this address when
> other people do it).

Got it, thanks.

* Re: bug#32172: csv-kill-fields broken in text mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3663.1531754953.1292.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-07-17  2:01     ` Bob Babcock
From: Bob Babcock @ 2018-07-17  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> tags 32172 notabug
> close 32172
> quit
>
> On 16/07/2018 15:58 +0300, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>
>> On 14/07/2018 05:30 +0000, Bob Babcock wrote:
>>
>>> I just discovered a surprising interaction: csv-kill-fields and
>>> csv-kill- multiple-columns break if the buffer is in text mode and a
>>> (quoted) field contains a comma.
>> These commands are not standard commands, but csv-mode specific
>> commands, so they work only in csv-mode.

Thanks.  I never thought about commands being mode-specific, but given the
things that can change with mode, I shouldn't have been surprised.  I'll
make sure I'm in an appropriate mode before using csv-mode commands.