Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Andrii Kolomoiets >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, eliz@gnu.org >> Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 22:14:07 +0200 >> >> I didn't saw the prompt issue. Stefan and Eli, can you please confirm >> that the prompt issue is totally gone? > > Can you show the recipe (or recipes) which I should try in order to > answer your question? While preparing receipt, I've found that the bug with the prompt is still exists. The receipt should be checked using feature/icomplete-vertical branch and using patched master branch (patch attached). Code that need to be put to the *scratch* buffer: (setq resize-mini-frames t) (icomplete-mode 1) (setq icomplete-separator "\n--\n") (setq icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input t) (setq icomplete-hide-common-prefix nil) (setq icomplete-prospects-height 10) (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook (lambda () (set (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist) '((default :height 1.3))))) (setq completion-items (mapcar (lambda (x) (format "Multiline completion item to occupy \ several lines %s" x)) '(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0))) (completing-read "This prompt is visible: " completion-items) (completing-read "This line of the prompt is not visible because the propmt \ occupy several lines: " completion-items) Part one. 1. emacs -Q 2. Put the code above to the *scratch* buffer 3. M-x eval-buffer feature/icomplete-vertical and patched master: Prompt is visible. 4. TAB (to complete the common part) feature/icomplete-vertical: Prompt is visible. Patched master: Prompt is hidden. 5. RET feature/icomplete-vertical: Prompt is visible. Patched master: The firs line of the prompt is hidden. 6. TAB feature/icomplete-vertical: Prompt is visible. Patched master: Prompt is hidden. Part two. 1. emacs -Q --eval "(setq default-frame-alist '((minibuffer . nil)))" 2. Put the code above to the *scratch* buffer 3. M-x eval-buffer feature/icomplete-vertical: Minibuffer frame remains minimum height and width, prompt is hidden. Patched master: Prompt is visible, minibuffer frame resized to fit all the 10 completion items. Well, the "part one" is for sure the answer to my own question :) But because of the "part two" I'm still very like the idea to treat 'icomplete-prospects-height' as completions count and not as the lines count. So I have another question: that prompt issue in patched master from the "part one" must be solved in icomplete-mode or somewhere in the display engine? Thanks!