all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* replace-regexp question
@ 2003-06-02 11:21 Chang Luo
From: Chang Luo @ 2003-06-02 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to replace regexp "a$" to "a$b$c$".  how to do that?

i.e.  I want:
a    ->     a

But replace-regexp gives me:
a   ->      a$b$c$

Thanks!

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2003-06-02 11:53 ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2003-06-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chang Luo wrote:

> I want to replace regexp "a$" to "a$b$c$".  how to do that?

> i.e.  I want:
> a    ->     a

> But replace-regexp gives me:
> a   ->      a$b$c$

"$" is only a special character in regexps in the search string
(not the replace string).  Hence, you want to do something like
(replace-regexp "a$" "a\nb\nc\n").  If doing this interactively,
"\n" is also interpreted literally.  So you have to insert an
literal newline, using C-q C-j, e.g. the interactive key
sequence would be:

M-x replace-regexp RET a $ RET a C-q C-j b C-q C-j c C-q C-j RET

hope the clears that up a bit.
--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-26 17:15 Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-10-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to use the command replace-regexp to replace a number with
that number increased, say, by 15?  I tried

C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET (number-to-string (+ (string-to-number "\&") 15)) RET

but it doesn't work because emacs interprets the second input to be a string
and so it doesn't evaluate it.  So I guess the question is how can we use
the result of evaluating a sexp for replacement text?

Any help and/or pointers to documentation will be greatly appreciated.

--
 There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.

* Re: replace-regexp question
       [not found] <mailman.12812.1130346970.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-26 17:34 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> Is there a way to use the command replace-regexp to replace a number with
> that number increased, say, by 15?  I tried
>
> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET (number-to-string (+ (string-to-number "\&") 15)) RET
>
> but it doesn't work because emacs interprets the second input to be
> a string and so it doesn't evaluate it.  So I guess the question is
> how can we use the result of evaluating a sexp for replacement text?
>
> Any help and/or pointers to documentation will be greatly
> appreciated.

The development version of Emacs would offer
C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-26 18:24   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2005-10-26 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>> Is there a way to use the command replace-regexp to replace a number with
>> that number increased, say, by 15?  I tried
>>
>> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET (number-to-string (+ (string-to-number "\&") 15)) RET
>>
>> but it doesn't work because emacs interprets the second input to be
>> a string and so it doesn't evaluate it.  So I guess the question is
>> how can we use the result of evaluating a sexp for replacement text?
>>
>> Any help and/or pointers to documentation will be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> The development version of Emacs would offer
> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET

Oh, heh!  Very neat ;)

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-26 19:52     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>>Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>>> Is there a way to use the command replace-regexp to replace a number with
>>> that number increased, say, by 15?  I tried
>>>
>>> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET (number-to-string (+ (string-to-number "\&") 15)) RET
>>>
>>> but it doesn't work because emacs interprets the second input to be
>>> a string and so it doesn't evaluate it.  So I guess the question is
>>> how can we use the result of evaluating a sexp for replacement text?
>>>
>>> Any help and/or pointers to documentation will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> The development version of Emacs would offer
>> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET
>
> Oh, heh!  Very neat ;)

The example in the Emacs manual is more amusing in my opinion, but
then I am biased.

       For computing replacement strings for `\,', the `format' function is
    often useful (*note Formatting Strings: (elisp)Formatting Strings.).
    For example, to add consecutively numbered strings like `ABC00042' to
    columns 73 to 80 (unless they are already occupied), you can use

         M-x replace-regexp <RET> ^.\{0,72\}$ <RET>
         \,(format "%-72sABC%05d" \& \#) <RET>

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-27  9:01       ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2005-10-27  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

+ David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:

| The example in the Emacs manual is more amusing in my opinion, but
| then I am biased.
|
|        For computing replacement strings for `\,', the `format' function is
|     often useful (*note Formatting Strings: (elisp)Formatting Strings.).
|     For example, to add consecutively numbered strings like `ABC00042' to
|     columns 73 to 80 (unless they are already occupied), you can use

Cute, but only understandable by old geezers who remember punch cards.
Ahh, the days of Real programmers.

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-27  9:32         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-27  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
>
> | The example in the Emacs manual is more amusing in my opinion, but
> | then I am biased.
> |
> |        For computing replacement strings for `\,', the `format' function is
> |     often useful (*note Formatting Strings: (elisp)Formatting Strings.).
> |     For example, to add consecutively numbered strings like `ABC00042' to
> |     columns 73 to 80 (unless they are already occupied), you can use
>
> Cute, but only understandable by old geezers who remember punch
> cards.  Ahh, the days of Real programmers.

You are biased.

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-27 11:47   ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-10-27 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 07:34:11PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> The development version of Emacs would offer
> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET

Great. Thanks.

--

@ 2005-10-27 14:38   ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-10-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 19:10 on oct 26 2005, David Kastrup said :

> The development version of Emacs would offer
> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET

Sounds great.  But I did  not found its  reference in the manual  in the
section "syntax of regular expressions".

Is it already documented ? If yes, could you give the section of manual ?

Thanks.
--
Sébastien Kirche

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-27 15:08     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-27 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> At 19:10 on oct 26 2005, David Kastrup said :
>
>> The development version of Emacs would offer
>> C-M-% -?[0-9]+ RET \,(+ \#& 15) RET
>
> Sounds great.  But I did  not found its  reference in the manual  in the
> section "syntax of regular expressions".
>
> Is it already documented ? If yes, could you give the section of manual ?

(info "(emacs) Regexp replace")

And of course it is also documented when you do

C-h k C-M-%

* Re: replace-regexp question
@ 2005-10-27 17:24       ` Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2005-10-27 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 17:10 on oct 27 2005, David Kastrup said :

> (info "(emacs) Regexp replace")
>
> And of course it is also documented when you do
>
> C-h k C-M-%

Thanks.
--
Sébastien Kirche