all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2720: error in build cvs version on Mac OS X
@ 2009-03-19 14:06 Ritesh Sood
From: Ritesh Sood @ 2009-03-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

It's now actually been a couple of *years* that I've been unsuccessful
in building Emacs from cvs source on Mac OS X: first on my Powerpc
Powerbook G4, and now on my Intel Mac. The build process always balks
at the bootstrap stage with the following message:
----------------
Using load-path (/home/ritesh/pkg/emacs/lisp /home/ritesh/pkg/emacs/
lisp/emacs-lisp \
	/home/ritesh/pkg/emacs/lisp/language /home/ritesh/pkg/emacs/lisp/
international \
	/home/ritesh/pkg/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
Invalid coding system: emacs-mule
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 255
make: *** [src] Error 2
---------------------
My build environment is quite pristine, no libraries from fink, etc.,
interfering with those installed by Xcode.
Here's how I run configure
---------------------
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Wno-pointer-sign"
./configure 				\
--enable-locallisppath=$HOME/elisp	\
--without-pop 				\
--without-kerberos 			\
--without-kerberos5 			\
--without-sound				\
--without-x				\
-without-toolkit-scroll-bars		\
--without-dbus				\
--without-gpm				\
--with-ns				\
--enable-cocoa-experimental-ctrl-g
Although I don't understand the last option, the build fails with or
without it.
It might not be a bug after all, but I have seen update after update
to the cvs repository but the build failure refuses to go away. It's
in sheer frustration that I'm resorting to sending a mail to the bugs
list. Hopefully someone can figure out the problem, or has seen this
issue elsewhere.
Help much appreciated,
Ritesh.