all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs.app and Subversion Path
@ 2009-08-06 14:28 Chad A.
       [not found] ` <704B39A2-4546-456C-892F-B00609F39C85@Web.DE>
From: Chad A. @ 2009-08-06 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I'm using the just released Emacs 23.1. for Mac OS X.  I'm having
trouble, though, getting Emacs VC to find my subversion client.   The
problem is related to the fact that Emac.app does not inherit the PATH
environmental variable (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsApp).   I
encountered this problem when I installed git (and used magit).   A
common solution to this problem (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/
930439/using-git-with-emacs).  The solution, though, only works for
the git binary.   Git is installed at /opt/local/bin, and so is the
svn binary.

The only way that I can get Emacs VC to recognize subversion
repositories is to start Emacs.app from the command line:  /Users/me/
Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs.  (Emacs.app definitely
inherits the path this way).

Any ideas about how I can get Emacs.app to find svn (when Emacs.app is
not launched from the command line).

Chad

* Re: Emacs.app and Subversion Path
       [not found] ` <704B39A2-4546-456C-892F-B00609F39C85@Web.DE>
@ 2009-08-06 23:23   ` Chad Albers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4092.1249621518.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chad Albers @ 2009-08-06 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yep.  I've tried that.  This is what I have...

(setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") ":/opt/local/bin"))
(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/opt/local/bin"))))

both svn and git reside in /opt/local/bin.  However, this fix only allows
magit to recognize git, but emacs VC can't seem to find svn.

Any other ideas?

Chad

@ 2009-08-07 15:33     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2009-08-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Maybe better way is to set them in ~/MacOSX/environment.plist.

Like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>INFOPATH</key>
	<string>/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info:/usr/local/info:/usr/local/share/info:/opt/local/share/info:/usr/share/info</string>
	<key>PATH</key>
	<string>/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin</string>
</dict>
</plist>

--
Totus mundus agit histrionem

@ 2009-08-07 16:32 ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2009-08-07 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chad A.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 6, 2009, at 7:28 AM, Chad A. wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using the just released Emacs 23.1. for Mac OS X.  I'm having
> trouble, though, getting Emacs VC to find my subversion client.   The
> problem is related to the fact that Emac.app does not inherit the PATH
> environmental variable (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsApp).   I
> encountered this problem when I installed git (and used magit).   A
> common solution to this problem (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/
> 930439/using-git-with-emacs).  The solution, though, only works for
> the git binary.   Git is installed at /opt/local/bin, and so is the
> svn binary.
>
> The only way that I can get Emacs VC to recognize subversion
> repositories is to start Emacs.app from the command line:  /Users/me/
> Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs.  (Emacs.app definitely
> inherits the path this way).
>
> Any ideas about how I can get Emacs.app to find svn (when Emacs.app is
> not launched from the command line).

1. Customize vc-svn-program.
2. Set up a ~/.MacOSX/Environment.plist file (Google it)

  - Ian