all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-29  3:10 Thomas A. Horsley
From: Thomas A. Horsley @ 2003-03-29  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I could have sworn I remember seeing articles that said the "next" version
of emacs would allow you to turn off the extra fringe, yet I just downloaded
21.3 and the only thing in the NEWS file is a bunch of new encoding stuff
(like utf-16), and nothing new about fringes shows up in any apropos
searches or the texinfo docs. [BTW, about half of my .emacs file is now
dedicated to the ruthless eradication of all the unicode and encoding
crap :-].

Where did fringe customization go?

Is it just that 21.3 is now the "current" version, so I don't yet have the
"next" version with fringe customization? :-).

Just curious...

P.S. There have NEVER been any messages in the gnu.emacs.announce news group
(I'm not talking no messages about 21.3, I'm talking absolutely never in all
of history on any news server I have ever looked at). If there is a mailing
list in back of it, something ain't right with the gateway to news.

* Re: what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-29  8:39 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-03-29  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

tom.horsley@att.net (Thomas A. Horsley) writes:

> I could have sworn I remember seeing articles that said the "next"
> version of emacs would allow you to turn off the extra fringe,

No.  This functionality is in development Emacs, and the next
release not merely concerned with bugfixing will have it.  21.3 is a
bugfix release.

> yet I just downloaded 21.3 and the only thing in the NEWS file is a
> bunch of new encoding stuff (like utf-16), and nothing new about
> fringes shows up in any apropos searches or the texinfo docs. [BTW,
> about half of my .emacs file is now dedicated to the ruthless
> eradication of all the unicode and encoding crap :-].

CVS Emacs just does the right thing with about all of Unicode.

> Where did fringe customization go?

It never was in the 21.3 branch.

> Is it just that 21.3 is now the "current" version, so I don't yet
> have the "next" version with fringe customization? :-).

21.4 will have that and wagonloads of other stuff.

* Re: what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-29  9:12   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-03-29  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> about half of my .emacs file is now dedicated to the ruthless
>> eradication of all the unicode and encoding crap :-].

Since you care enough to tell us about it, why not tell us what
problems this was trying to address ?

> CVS Emacs just does the right thing with about all of Unicode.

Thanks David.  I think hardcore Unicode addicts will disagree.

>> Is it just that 21.3 is now the "current" version, so I don't yet
>> have the "next" version with fringe customization? :-).

Pretty much.

> 21.4 will have that and wagonloads of other stuff.

Unless it is decided that we need yet-another-bugfix-release, in
which case 21.4 will be that bugfix-only release and only 21.5
will come with the good stuff.

In any case the good stuff is not about to be released, so you'll
have to use the CVS repository if you want to use it.

* Re: what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-29 13:29 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-03-29 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

tom.horsley@att.net (Thomas A. Horsley) writes:

> P.S. There have NEVER been any messages in the gnu.emacs.announce news group
> (I'm not talking no messages about 21.3, I'm talking absolutely never in all
> of history on any news server I have ever looked at).

The messages used to make it through in about 1994.

> If there is a mailing list in back of it, something ain't right with
> the gateway to news.

I think the problem is that it is so low volume that it got removed
from most servers a few years ago, so does not propagate around any
more.

* Re: what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-29 14:21     ` Thomas A. Horsley
From: Thomas A. Horsley @ 2003-03-29 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> about half of my .emacs file is now dedicated to the ruthless
>>> eradication of all the unicode and encoding crap :-].
>
>Since you care enough to tell us about it, why not tell us what
>problems this was trying to address ?

Because all the work I do is with good old stick in the mud 7-bit ascii
files. If random bits of unicode have crept into my files I want to know
about it, and I will if I see lots of octal escapes on the screen (but I
won't if emacs helpfully renders the characters correctly for some
definition of correct :-). For that matter all the files I work with are
Unix format, so if DOS line endings have crept in, I want to know about that
as well by seeing the $#@! ^M characters instead of having them go invisible
on me.

Despite my best attempts to eradicate all this stuff I still haven't yet
figured out how to convince gnus to stop asking me what encoding to use
when I try to forward some random unicode spam messages. Somehow there
has to be a way to tell it: "Look you - you know that stream of bytes
you got from the POP server - that's the data I want to forward - why
should you care what the encoding is? (You didn't when you sucked it off
the server)".
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

* Re: what happened to fringe customization?
@ 2003-03-31 18:10       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-31 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Horsley wrote:

> Because all the work I do is with good old stick in the mud 7-bit ascii
> files. If random bits of unicode have crept into my files I want to know
> about it, and I will if I see lots of octal escapes on the screen (but I
> won't if emacs helpfully renders the characters correctly for some
> definition of correct :-). For that matter all the files I work with are
> Unix format, so if DOS line endings have crept in, I want to know about that
> as well by seeing the $#@! ^M characters instead of having them go invisible
> on me.

Doesn't emacs --unibyte do that for you?