all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: eshell on OS X / fink
       [not found] <m2r83xdibw.fsf@krid.de>
@ 2003-08-07 13:26 ` tristero
From: tristero @ 2003-08-07 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2r83xdibw.fsf@krid.de>, Dirk Bernhardt wrote:
> There's an annoying problem with eshell that I don't remember having had
> before:  eshell `swallows' some command outputs:

I don't use the X11 gnuemacs client in osx, so I can't tell you
specifically what to do about the problem you're reporting.  I can
tell you that I never seen it with carbon gnuemacs 21.3, so if you're
working at the console rather than remotely, you might try that
instead of the X11 client.  See http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/
for more details.  It's an excellent port, very stable even though
it's not quite offically marked as such yet.

In X11 I run xemacs 21.4.13 (built via fink, but I wrote the .info
file myself - the standard fink distribution has an earlier 21.4 in
the stable tree and 21.5 in the unstable tree).  It likewise doesn't
display this problem.  That's another alternative if you don't want or
can't use the carbon gnuemacs.

@ 2003-08-07 17:08 ` Jim H
From: Jim H @ 2003-08-07 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dirk Bernhardt <nospam@krid.de> writes:

> There's an annoying problem with eshell that I don't remember having had
> before:  eshell `swallows' some command outputs:

There's an annoying problem with eshell that I don't remember having had
before:  eshell `swallows' some command outputs:

put this in your .emacs:

    (if (string= system-type "darwin")
        (setq process-connection-type nil))

There's some issue with using pty for the process-connection-type which is
probably what you have it set to if you're using the X windows
version. This has been the case on darwin for some time. I believe the
carbon version defaults to not using a pty.

       -Jim