all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help - isearch highlits my buffer into a sort of Christmas tree
@ 2004-02-01  9:44 nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-01  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

when I say e.g.

  C-s a

my new emacs highlights every visible occurrence of 'a' , and not only
the next (found) one ; the result is reminiscent of a beautiful Christmas tree
with dozens of little red lamps which however in the emacs situation is in my feeling
a bit confusing. I would like to disable this behavior.

How to get highlighted only the found occurrence ?

  Thank you :-)

* Re: help - isearch highlits my buffer into a sort of Christmas tree
@ 2004-02-01 14:04 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2004-02-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55> Hi
nospam55> when I say e.g.

nospam55>   C-s a

nospam55> my new emacs highlights every visible occurrence of 'a' ,

I find this a very useful feature, but I'm usually searching
for more complex strings than 'a'  ;-)

nospam55> I would like to disable this behavior.

Here's how I found the answer to your your problem:

 apropos "highlight"
 search for "isearch"
 C-h v "isearch-lazy-highlight"

--
------------------------
-- Christopher J. White

* Re: help - isearch highlits my buffer into a sort of Christmas tree
@ 2004-02-02 19:05   ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-02 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Works! The solution was putting

  (setq isearch-lazy-highlight nil) ; no Christmas-like match highlighting please

in .emacs

Thanks!

* RE: help - isearch highlits my buffer into a sort of Christmas tree
@ 2004-02-02 19:56 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2004-02-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, February 01, 2004 at 3:45 AM nospam55 wrote:

> How to get highlighted only the found occurrence ?

The following information comes directly from the info pages.
(c-h i m e m <RET> m s e a r <RET> m i n c r <RET>)

   When you pause for a little while during incremental search, it
highlights all other possible matches for the search string.  This
makes it easier to anticipate where you can get to by typing `C-s' or
`C-r' to repeat the search.  The short delay before highlighting other
matches helps indicate which match is the current one.  If you don't
like this feature, you can turn it off by setting
`isearch-lazy-highlight' to `nil'.

   You can control how this highlighting looks by customizing the faces
`isearch' (used for the current match) and
`isearch-lazy-highlight-face' (for all the other matches).

(I suggest that you consider making info (help) your friend.  Once you
have done that you will only have to resort to this list when you can't
find answers to your questions in it.  If you want to write functions I
would also recommend the other fine reference "the emacs lisp
reference").

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-