all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc-rename-file() if possible otherwise rename-file()
@ 2008-03-18 18:23 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-03-18 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Looking for a small snippet that does vc-rename-file() when possible
(source file is under version control) otherwise default to rename-
file(). The question is: How do I check if a file is under version
control or not?

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: vc-rename-file() if possible otherwise rename-file()
@ 2008-03-18 19:13 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <2fd1cf38-57e5-4ce1-b79c-8eee6aa25b8e@s13g2000prd.googlegro ups.com>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-03-18 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlow <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Looking for a small snippet that does vc-rename-file() when possible
> (source file is under version control) otherwise default to rename-
> file(). The question is: How do I check if a file is under version
> control or not?

Look in the modeline you will see the name of the version-system backend and the
number of version. Like SVN:123 for a file under subversion version no123.
But the file didn't come under version-control alone... ;)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: vc-rename-file() if possible otherwise rename-file()
@ 2008-03-18 19:26 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found] ` <2fd1cf38-57e5-4ce1-b79c-8eee6aa25b8e@s13g2000prd.googlegro ups.com>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-03-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for a small snippet that does vc-rename-file() when possible
> (source file is under version control) otherwise default to rename-
> file(). The question is: How do I check if a file is under version
> control or not?

(if (vc-backend buffer-file-name)
    (vc-rename-file buffer-file-name new-name)
  (rename-file buffer-file-name new-name))

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

@ 2008-03-19  0:40   ` Johan Lindström
From: Johan Lindström @ 2008-03-19  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At 18:23 2008-03-18, Nordlöw wrote:
>Looking for a small snippet that does vc-rename-file() when possible
>(source file is under version control) otherwise default to rename-
>file().

That sounds very useful. Something I've been missing for some time is
the same thing but for delete, so I can easily get rid of all
irrelevant files listed in the *svn-status* buffer.

/J